Does the Christian message fall apart without a literal interpretation of Genesis?

by nicolaou 175 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

tec, I was just curious and have been meaning to ask you: have you read any of John Shelby Spong's books? You seem to be on the same page as him... and his middle name is Shelby...

• tec
    tec

I've heard his name mentioned on this site a couple times, but I know nothing about him or anything he has written, no. Curious now... but I have so many books on my to-read list. I'll add him to the list :)

Tammy

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Tammy

DD - I agree that seeing Jesus as God, vs seeing Jesus as the image of God changes our outlook on some things.

It doesn't change our outlook on some things, it changes our outlook on everything, including Paul.

John 5:46

For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me. 47But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

Rom 10:15

And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! 16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah saith, (Isaiah 52:7) Lord, who hath believed our report? 17So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. 18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world. 19But I say,Did not Israel know?First Moses saith, (Deut 32:21) I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you. 20 But Isaiah is very bold, and saith, I was found of them that sought me not; I was made manifest unto them that asked not after me. 21But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people.

Acts 8:30

Philip ran up and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet, and said, "Do you understand what you are reading?" 31 And he said, "Well, how could I, unless someone guides me?" And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. 32 Now the passage of Scripture which he was reading was this: Isaiah 53 "HE WAS LED AS A SHEEP TO SLAUGHTER; AND AS A LAMB BEFORE ITS SHEARER IS SILENT, SO HE DOES NOT OPEN HIS MOUTH. 33 "IN HUMILIATION HIS JUDGMENT WAS TAKEN AWAY; WHO WILL RELATE HIS GENERATION? FOR HIS LIFE IS REMOVED FROM THE EARTH." 34 The eunuch answered Philip and said, "Please tell me, of whom does the prophet say this? Of himself or of someone else?" 35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning from this Scripture he preached Jesus to him.

Did you read the last of my post about Paul, though?

Yes, I saw you equate yourself to the Apostle Paul, which is what you did earlier in this thread.

So you think you had a Damascus road experience? Did Ananias come and lay hands on you or are you still blind?

Paul did deny Christ before he was saved. But he never did deny the scripture, in fact, he used it to preach Christ, after his conversion.

You think YOU are the exception to everything, YOU don't even need to be subject to scripture, you think it is subject to you.

Here is some advice for you from a real Apostle

2Co 11:3

But I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ. 4 For if someone comes and proclaims another Jesus than the one we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or if you accept a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it readily enough. 5 Indeed, I consider that I am not in the least inferior to these super-apostles.

Bottom line, Tammy, we have a different Jesus.

• tec
    tec

DD - Moses wrote of God. He also wrote of the one who God would raise from among them. The Messiah. Nothing in that is changed, nor is anything else that you wrote. Unless what you are really saying is that I am not a real Christian because I do not believe Jesus is God. Even though it doesn't change the authority of Christ in any way, or how I perceive that authority? Even though it doesn't change how I view the Father - through Christ? I am simply not a Christian at all, and so nothing I say need be considered. That part is true: nothing I say needs to be considered at all. I am no one special. I make mistakes, and have never said otherwise.

Yes, I saw you equate yourself to the Apostle Paul, which is what you did earlier in this thread. So you think you had a Damascus road experience? Did Ananias come and lay hands on you or are you still blind?

You saw no such thing and you missed the entire point.

I have never had a road to damascus experience. Something far gentler perhaps. But it is the Spirit who teaches, and I am trying to learn from the Spirit, by being open and having faith that I can hear Him. Through whatever means He teaches. Experience, feeling, words, scripture. I, on my own, know nothing.

You think YOU are the exception to everything, YOU don't even need to be subject to scripture, you think it is subject to you.

I don't think any of this. You have decided this about me. Not by listening to the things I say, but by not understanding.

Here is some advice for you from a real Apostle

Are you so certain you don't need that advice for yourself?

Tammy
  • tec
    tec

A very good man reminded me of the love of our Lord. Enough to bring tears to my eyes.

So I apologize, sincerely, for getting irritated and snapping back at you DD.

Please go in peace, and that is a sincere wish also.

Tammy

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Tammy

You have decided this about me. Not by listening to the things I say, but by not understanding.

You've made yourself very VERY clear. You said you don't believe Jesus is God. You've also made it equaly clear that you can pick a choose what part of the bible is God breathed, and what is not.

I take Paul's words very very seriously every day, I believe they are God's words speaking to me. You, by your own admission... not so much.

I guess you feel I'm saying this out of anger or malice, well, I'm sorry if that's the way it comes across. I pray that God moves you to re-examine the bible. I also pray that you come to know the Jesus I know, the Jesus of every word of the Old and New Testaments.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Tammy and Deputy Dog ...

Both are gifts.

Both speak from the heart.

Both love the Master.

Hallelujah!

Syl

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Sometimes we forget that even the apostles didn't always agree with each other or see eye-to-eye, such was the case with Paul, Peter and James, even John and James and the rest of the apostles, even Thomas.

We don't always have to agree on every little point about doctrine, we are all under Our Lord and how Our lord chooses to reveal himself to each of us is Up to Him.

Peace and love amongst all believers, in Our Lord Jesus Christ.

• tec
    tec

(((Syl))), (((PSac))), and (((DD))) as well.

Love to you all,

Tammy

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Oh fer . . . . get a room you lot!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit