TV's best Series-ending episodes

by Nickolas 24 Replies latest social entertainment

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

And now for something a little lighter.

I enjoy well made movies and television series, especially when they push the envelope, do something different. There are currently two TV series I'm following closely (Dexter and Breaking Bad), both of which have great promise for spectacular endings.

Here are my biased rankings for a few television series that actually wrapped up with a final episode (out of 10)

M*A*S*H, "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen" - February 28, 1983, after eleven seasons - 7/10 (series went on too long, got stale, ending was overdue)

Newhart, "The Last Newhart" - May 21, 1990, after eight seasons (it was all a dream) - 8/10

The Sopranos, "Made in America" - June 10, 2007, after an extended sixth season - 6/10 (a spectacular series that went out with a wimper)

Six Feet Under, "Everyone's Waiting" - August 21, 2005, after five seasons (you can't take a picture of this, it's already gone) - 10/10 (easily the greatest series ender of all time)

Yours?

• The Finger
    The Finger

I've only just started watching Dexter. Just finished the first series. Wow, can't wait to watch the next.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I've only just started watching Dexter. Just finished the first series. Wow, can't wait to watch the next.

I'm wondering if season 6 will be the last. It's a great concept, but it's starting to get a little long in the tooth.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Outside of mash I find it hard to think of seriese with good endings. quantum leap and seinfield come to mind as bad endings.

• poppers
    poppers

I LOVE Dexter; just discovered it recently. Watched the first 2 seasons on Netflix - season 2 was better than 1. I got season 3 from the library and it's the best so far; haven't seen the others yet .

• Iron Head
    Iron Head

Lost

Best ever

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

twin peaks had the worst ending, I think it went for too long and got too weird, putting hints of freemason was a nice touch but didn't like the ending, the movie was actually pretty good, anyone that didn't follow the series disliked the movie.

If dexter is anything like the novel its based on there should be....should I say it, at some stage.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I liked the finale of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, with the ratings of the news being lousy, a new owner fired everybody except Ted Baxter. It stuck with its own type of humor.

Friends ended with what everybody wanted, Ross and Rachel getting back together.

Cheers ended appropriately with Sam staying in the bar, his true love, telling a potential customer at the door, "Sorry, we're closed."

I gotta go with Newhart's ending- it was all a dream, he's actually Doctor Bob Hartley telling Emily about this crazy hotel.

• free2beme
    free2beme

The last "Two and a Half men???" Where they all come together and talk about how uncle Charlie killed himself in a drug overdose.

• White Dove
    White Dove

MASH and MacGyver are my favorites.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit