Will you go to the memorial

by freeborg 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Francois
    Francois

Hey Outnfree:

I've done the same thing with groups of friends, but I do it whenever we all get together for spiritual reasons. I don't buy the idea that the rembrance of Jesus is something that should be done only once a year. The idea is to remember Jesus' life. Any time. Any place.

Humans in the west have been so busy the last two thousand years practicing a religion ABOUT Jesus, we seem to have forgotten the religion OF Jesus, and I and my friends feel the anytime remembrance of his life and his religion is always spiritually serviceable.

Congrats for taking things into your own hands.

Francois

• Simon
    Simon

I didn't go last year but this year I will if only to make the elders sweat a bit

Hey, they have free wine!

• Solace
    Solace

The only people who could guilt me and my sister into going were our grandparents because we have deep respect for them. Now that they have died (my grandfather because he refused a bloodtransfusion) I do not feel the need to attend. I dont buy the "only the elite 144,000 can partake thing". I never understood why other religions put such importance on partaking of the emblems, while us J.W.s just passed it around, almost daring anyone to take a sip. Jesus said, "eat this, Drink this, Do not let one crumb be wasted". I asked my J.W. Aunt what they do with all the bread and wine after the memorial and she said "They throw it in the garbage". I think thats about as respectful as calling God by his "supposed" name. I mean, do J.W.s call their parents by their first names?! What is that?!

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

I went for a couple years after going inactive, but I will never go again. I went mostly to please the wife, but now, since she is sticking up more for the dubs than for me, the hell with her. I can have stale crackers and cheap wine any time. All I have to do is pray over it first, right?

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

When is it this year? The date for JWs, please.

Sam Beli

I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind. What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted. Solomon

• Princess
    Princess

I made my last kingdom hall appearance in September for my grandfather's memorial. Now that he is gone I see no reason why I should ever have to set foot in a kh again.

The dubs have turned the memorial into a superstitious ritual. I'll never attend.

Princess

• BritBoy
    BritBoy

Welllll I was considering using the Memorial as my 2nd visit to the KH..... think of the fun to be had.......

They wouldn't have made the cane if you weren't meant to break the rules!

• Prisca
    Prisca

Last year was the first year I didn't attend a Memorial. Didn't get hit with bolts of lightning or anything.

I have instead attended a couple of Communion services, and I participated in those. Felt good to finally be able to show my outward acceptance of Christ and his sacrifice.

I'd recommend to anyone who isn't sure about partaking, to attend a Communion service at a local church and see for themselves. Then if you feel comfortable about it, you are welcome to partake. Otherwise, just observe how other churches celebrate the meaning of Jesus' sacrifice.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Pris and Princess,

very glad to hear it!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
    Anonymous

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

I will be attending the Darwinian Memorial.

I wish to praise my saviour.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit