Will you go to the memorial

by freeborg 54 Replies latest jw friends

• freeborg
    freeborg

I have never missed a memorial in 20 years of being a JW, but this year will be the first one I miss because I refuse to set foot in any Kingdom Hall. I was wondering how many that post here will attend the memorial and if so why?
    Do you feel pressured into going by family or friends?
    Do you still believe in the memorial of Christ’s death?
    I personally will not give any JW I know the pleasure of seeing me at the memorial.

• rekless
    rekless

no,pure & simple

• JWinSF
    JWinSF

No plans at the present for attending. However a few years back I went to my home Congregation. It was an affirmation for me: That I could enter the KH and know that the JWs had no residual control on me. I was able to speak with a few other non-JWs who went to the Memorial merely to please other family members. It was a real hoot. I could speak freely with them [and did] while the nearby JWs could only listen and not respond. One young man who was the grandson of my closest JW friend and I chatted extensively, including my being gay and going to gay bars/clubs in San Francisco. I think a few JW pacemakers flickered upon hearing that.

The following year, some other ex-JWs also wanted to do the same, so I went along for "moral support" to a congregation in South San Francisco.

But, for me, I have no need to go back. I'll go if someone else wants to go and needs some support. But, again, for me, nope. I don't plug into Christianity, let alone the JWs.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

"Do you still believe in the memorial of Christ’s death?"

Yes I will probably never stop believing this or stop
    showing that I believe this.
    Attending the memorial has nothing to do with JWs.
    or a K.H. I will go because I want to go and no one will
    discourage me from doing so. I don't care if people shunn
    me if I show up I'm not there for them.

Do I feel presured to go?
    Absolutely not.

I am becomming more and more comfortable with me every day
    and I do pretty much as I damn well please.
    plm

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

I will go to "feel" things out and to irritate the over righteous ones.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

JWinSF--I like that reasoning! That is a good way to look at it. I saw JW's coming up my drive a few weeks back and panicked.

I will not go, however, I am in a different town and state.

Either way, I still will not go.

• LB
    LB

This is the 3rd memorial in a row that I haven't attended. It will be my wifes first miss. We both feel very comfortable with it.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• JWinSF
    JWinSF

puffsrule: I really like your pic! How "Jessica Rabbit".

• freeborg
    freeborg

plmkrzy,

Its a personal decision and you are right in what you say. You obviously can overcome the differences with the regulars that are there.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Psst...

The pic is Ann Margrock, from the Flintstones. Based upon Ann Margaret.

I need a pterodactyl egg for strength....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit