Disfellowshipping Offense

by Had To Go 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Had To Go
    Had To Go

So I went to my sister's wedding this past Sunday, which happened to be smack dab in the middle of a church service. My all faithful husband told me it was a DFing offense and that he was obligated to tell the elders that I was going to a church. I really could care less about the actual act of being DF it is the fact that my husband felt the need to "turn me in". So in talking to him tonight he acts like he is not sure if it is or not.

Those of you with a copy of the elder's manual, can you please tell me if attending a church service is indeed listed as a DFing offense.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

It's only a DFing offense if you knew it was "wrong" and you are "unrepentant."

If you want to stay in, plead ignorance and say you thought it was ok to go to "worldly" relatives' weddings and that you're sorry if doing so makes Jehovah angry. Show "godly fear" and "give due honor" to the committee and you'll probably just be privately reproved.

If you don't care what they do, I would recommend just not playing their game. At all. Don't respond to any calls, visits, or letters. Tell your husband that he can do what he wants but that his betrayal of you in turning you in to the elders is FAR WORSE in the eyes of a just god than attending the wedding of a flesh and blood family member, no matter WHERE it is.

I'm pissed at him for you. Turning you in would be a major dick move.

• out4good3
    out4good3

What a spineless Pu$$......

Isn't there some scripture where it says a man will leave his mother and father and stick to his wife. And now, he wants to justify running mommy WT and snitching on tha bad bad poz-tate wifey.

That is blatantly disrespectful on so many levels.

It would serve him right if the elders get on his ass for not exercising headship and having you in subjection.

Loser!!!!

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Nah I don't think you would be disfellowshipped for going into a church for a wedding/funeral. I went to a worldly funeral in a church for my grandmother and the elders didn't care. I believe it is a conscience matter.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    So I went to my sister's wedding this past Sunday, which happened to be smack dab in the middle of a church service.

Were there two events or one? A normal Sunday sermon and a wedding?

• Had To Go
    Had To Go
    Were there two events or one? A normal Sunday sermon and a wedding?

Well there was nothing "normal" about this experience at all. I grew up a Southern Baptist and I think this might be a non-demoninational church. But yes they got married at the church service...right up on stage in front of more people that they probably didn't know, than did. It was just a quick saying of their vows pretty much. It was toward the end of the service, so maybe me saying it was in the middle wasn't all that truthful. But it wasn't as if the crowd was dismissed and then they were married.

• pontoon
    pontoon

A widowed bethel sister went to the funeral of a disfellowshipped ex husband of a sister in the hall. I was already not attending anymore, but I know because it was covered by local TV news and I actually saw that sister and other dubs at the funeral on TV. Surprised the hell out of me! Was not any kind of an issue as far as I know. The reason why TV covered it is because that deceased ex-brother was brutally murdered. Conscience matter---do what you want

• Had To Go
    Had To Go

He just told me that going to church was a sin and I knew that when I dedicated myself to jehovah. And that is why he had to "tell on me". OMG! Really?!?! Isn't that stretching it just a little far?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I think it's a conscience matter--but severely frowned on. I don't want to talk about your husband, because i know neither of you--but perhaps he should at least get his information straight before threatening to turn your 3 strand cord into a 6 strander. Sheesh. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this.

NC

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

Your husband is being ridiculous. It is a matter of conscience. See Questions from the Readers 11/15/2007 for the full WT discussion. It's right on his WT cd-rom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit