Your favorite Chapter from 'Crisis of Conscience?'

by Joliette 12 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I'll tell you exactly what they were thinking.
    "The Malawians are poor and don't own land so who gives a shit what happens to them, plus they're Africans so nobody else will care either."

Word.

You ain't never lied!

Syl

• saltyoldlady
    saltyoldlady

My favorite chapter was also the one on Malawi because I remember how intensely my sorrow was when that terrible persecution began - and then to learn that it wasn't even a political system with two parties - but only one party - period - that it was not really a political involvement at all to sign the card - just another tax from the government and a request for obedience to the laws of the land. Scripturally it could have been complied with - my take on the situation at the GB was probably they heard the word "Party Card" and just triggered - oh that is political involvement. No don't sign it - without of course much thought as to what might happen if they didn't. I am sure the members of the GB never even entertained the terrible results that might occur.

But have to relay some humorous comments (or maybe not so humorous - depends on one's point of view) that happened in my exit interview upon DA'ing from the congregation. They were of course interested in digging into my reasons so I shared this material from that chapter of Crisis of Conscience. The PO had started to read the book he confessed when he was of course much younger but never completed it. But he is a "black" brother - and one I always loved as a person exceptionally warm and large-hearted - I am white and had never felt any racial prejudice on his part before but this night it slipped out - he said there was no way those brothers in Malawi put their lives on the line because of some white dudes (exact terminology used) sitting in New York. He was willing to personally fly me over there to talk with them if it would make a difference to me (of course he was just talking big here - I understood that - he would not have been able to follow through had I taken him up on it) but he just knew that Ray Franz "take" on the matter was wrong.

Anyway that was an eye-opener to me that the few token white people in this congregation were just something he had to put up with - condescend to - it saddened me. I have always felt intensely the stigma and prejudice they have suffered and have admired them for their marvelous abilities to overcome the hardships put upon them. It has always seemed to me that the black brothers and sisters I have known are some of the most intelligent and competent individuals in the congregation, and I suspect it is because they have had to strive ever so much harder to achieve success in this system prevailing today.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I like the chapter on how the GB operated (few scriptural discussions, 2/3rds vote,all about organization) can't remember the exact title/chapter. Isn't that the one where a few of the GB members wanted to change the start of the last days to 1957 because of the Sputnik launch? Once I saw that I knew these dudes were just grasping at straws and had zero direction from anyone upstairs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit