Suggestions for JW-themed university project: Part One [HISTORY]

by honorsthesis 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• honorsthesis
    honorsthesis

@wasblind

i am quite familiar with JW's history, and i am aware of the DVD. i am not asking to educate me on the basic regurgitated WT lecture of the history of JW's. this is an undergraudate research project, not a middle school essay.

and what's with the personal attacks? if this doesn't interest you --leave.

i don't understand why people have to come on here and incite angst with inflammatory comments.

@leolaia

"ad no hesitation in supporting a bill in Congress (H.R. 7986) that specifically was written to protect his rights under the FCC."

Fantastic! This is the type of fascinating information I am looking for. I will research this further.

Great book recommendations, although I have read all of them except A People for his Name. I am unfamiliar with this book, I will have to check it out. I loved Penton's Third Reich. That was the second book (the first being Crisis) I read about JW's which was not published by the WT. Rutherford's "Declaration of Facts" and the circumstances which surrounded it are so interesting, and shocking! I tried to have my mom read it but after the first chapter she refused to continue.

I enjoy Penton's work because he is not anti-Witness, he is not pro-Witness. He simply relays the facts, and the reader is left to decide. This is how I am approaching my thesis.

@GLT

Great links! I love the perspectives. I indeed plan on writing the following sections of my thesis based on how various other groups interpretat JW's. What I wish to include is how the WT sees JW's, how individual JW's see other JW's, how active JW's see ex-JW's, and how behavioral scientists and Witnesses who have defected from the organization see JW's.

A lot of lenses to view JW's, and they will all likely have their own contingencies.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here is the direct link to the hearings for H.R. 7986: http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/OSEC/library/legislative_histories/52.pdf

You may be familiar with Rep. Louis T. McFadden who introduced the bill (if not Wikipedia is your friend). Now read his statement in the hearings, and what he says about "Big Business". Sound familiar? Note especially this part: "The three visible elements of men that rule the Nation are the commercial, the political, and the religious, and of these three, the commercial is the most powerful". This is precisely how Rutherford described Satan's Organization at the time. So this is a big historical question I would love to know more about.....What was Rutherford's relationship with Rep. McFadden? McFadden was the one who introduced the bill and here he was talking stuff in such a Rutherford-esque way (he even uses the word "ultra selfish")....was Rutherford an influence on him or was it the other way around?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit