What is difference between Black Congregations and White Congregations

by Pitchess Co-Gen 72 Replies latest jw experiences

• Pitchess Co-Gen
    Pitchess Co-Gen

bump. How come Black Congregations have more drama than White Congregations?

• Pitchess Co-Gen
  • snowbird
    snowbird
    How come Black Congregations have more drama than White Congregations?

What kind of drama?

Please be specific.

Syl

• Quendi
    Quendi

For my first seven years' association with Jehovah's Witnesses, I was part of black congregations in Tuscaloosa and Birmingham, Alabama. I am black. In the South, there was a noticeable difference in atmosphere between black and white congregations. White Witnesses were more reserved, and their congregations seemed cooler and more formal than the black ones I was part of.

Then I moved away from Birmingham, Alabama to Boulder, Colorado where I currently live. The congregations in Boulder are predominantly white with the exception of the Spanish-language congregation. That one started out as a group of interested persons but has grown into a full-fledged congregation now that is overwhelmingly brown and Latino. I have never attended its meetings although I knew one or two people there.

The Boulder congregations welcomed me with open arms when I arrived thirty years ago. The formality and coolness I had known in white congregations in the Deep South were noticeably absent. Witnesses helped me find a job, a home, and made me an integral part of the Witness community in Boulder. My Alabama family, who are not Witnesses, was stunned that any white folks would help a black man out, particularly in a part of the country where black faces are scarce. (Colorado's blacks make up only 4% of the state's population.) The only Witnesses my Alabama family knew were all black.

After I moved to Colorado, one or two Witnesses whom I knew here actually made contact with my Alabama family. They were white, but my family gladly welcomed them and later told me how impressed they were with their friendliness and warmth. I was very happy to hear that. Coming from an area where almost all social questions are cast in terms of race and moving to one where such an outlook was rare was a big surprise for me. I quickly adjusted to it. Finally, when one of my fleshly brothers visited me in Colorado and saw that practically all my friends and associates here were white and very friendly, he was completely overwhelmed. He lives in Atlanta, and Boulder's friendliness and openness were unbelievable to him. The attitude the general population has in Colorado had definitely shaped the outlook Witness congregations have here.

So I would say that any differences between black and white congregations are a reflection of the area they are located in. If racial and ethnic tensions exist in an area, I think it is possible there will be differences in the way a congregation gets along. Black families have their problems, to be sure, but black congregations have a long tradition of warmth and openness. I think much of that has to do with the appeal the Witness religion has for many black Americans. They want to live in a world free from bigotry and racism, and a religion which espouses that will draw many of them to it. Plus, since many black Witnesses have come into the religion via some other church, they are used to the strong community spirit their former churches promoted. It would only be natural for them to foster that same spirit in any congregation where they are a majority.

And we can't deny the role that culture plays in the spirit a congregation will manifest. White people are hardly monolithic, and I daresay that a congregation made up of people who are predominantly of northern European extraction will be somewhat different from a congregation whose makeup is primarily Mediterranean. So differences between black and white congregations might also have to take that into account.

Quendi

• SouthCentral
    SouthCentral

I'm from South Los Angeles and been to Black congregations all my life, but I moved 70-75 miles north from where I grew up. I just want to know the difference .

Great question. I like many others did the same thing. I actually loved participating and having friends in the black hall. I LOVED the people. I felt guilty when I missed a meeting. In the white hall that I attended in the Antelope Valley, the black friends went out of their way to show warmth. The white friends seemed to be more concerned about the clothes or shoes my wife wore. Some would not talk if she had on something new. It was a weird energy in the hall because it was KINDA integrated. People interacted, but still had segregated parties. Everyone had a long commute, so missing the meetings was not a problem. I loved that about the white halls. We NEVER had a sheparding call from a white elder. I work in an integrated environment and I get more LOVE from co-workers.

80 miles out? Are you going to Palmdale or Moreno Valley?

• SouthCentral
    SouthCentral

Another distinctive difference was the speakers. Growing up in the org., Young black brothers are expected to give GREAT talks. I gave a GREAT talk (IMO) and recieved 7 minutes of counsil for having my legs too far apart. I was JUST 16, but very arrogant. I think the black halls are TOUGH on all speakers. They EXPECT GREAT talks ALL the time. In white halls, it was very rare to get an IMPACTFUL motivating speaker. I actually scheduled / requested brothers from my hall in South LA to visit all of my white congregations. Ironically, many of the Black brothers in white congregations were below average speakers.

This is JUST my personal experience / observations.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

The speaker we had yesterday, white brother, was one of the most animated speakers I've ever heard. I didn't agree with half of the crap coming out of his mouth as his outline was full of gross stereotypes of JWs, and NonJWs. However, his delivery was on par with Adolf Hitler or Idi Amin. I could have been blind, and he would have painted a masterpiece with his delivery. He was a little guy, and I wonder if his voice and delivery is a result of his size, a-la Napolean complex, or little man's syndrome.

Our congregation is half and half, and probably only a majority one way or the other depending if a family goes on vacation. I have noticed that when black brothers handle the WT Study, its much livelier than when a white brother does it. That's not the rule necessarily, as a couple of our white elders are capable of conducting lively studies, but they're in the minority.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I seem to be the only one who hated being the only white family. In fairness, I saw no overt racism compared to what surrounded us in the city. Class was the issue. MY gm hosted a Bible Study in the projects and served common cookies, such as Oreos. They loved her for it. Looking back, my KH associations saved my butt during riots.

I fainted when my mom broke the news to me that in the South KHs were segregated. In fact, I wept to discover it. As for my land, Northern NJ, the de facto segregation was as poignant as de jure in the South. Many whites stuck in Newark just travelled to a suburban KH with more white people. These were usually integrated with a few blacks.

Social problems followed the poverty into the KH. Our congregation was 98% black. With the exception of my family, all the key positions went to whites as though it were there due. I thought it was proper at the time. I wonder how black Witnesses feel today being so governed and dictated to by a white power structure.

The KHs in the North needed to have their zones recast to better achieve integration. Paul, of course, said to stay put in slavery.

• AwareBeing
    AwareBeing

Black Cong's are the best to be in no matter what face you are. Latino and Asian, can be a little better

or worse depending on the elder/publisher's view on western culture vs. applied Biblical love.

Average white Congo's are from mediocre to nightmarish cliques! Yet, the very worst Congo our family

knows about was Black/White/Latin mix. Things seemed normal and harmonious for three decades,

with the usual brow beating and markings of many Congo's. That all changed in less than two years,

when three divorced black bros. increased their attendance there. A black elder, who in the 70's was

a "Black Panther" vowed to help then overcome immorality, and to gain privileges. Another black elder,

married to a white; encouraged them to also marry white brides. (My family doesn't have a problem

with this, but in a minute you'll see what this was about!) While in the posses of white washing these

"up and coming" men, the Cong. got washed of whites! A lot of things were done to the Caucasians

resulting in squeezing them out of small duties, and rarelly being invited to "get to gethers". Then two

white elders left, at least three assisting white families moved away, and half of Latinos quit. The last we've

heard; the black elders are still having their pool and liquor nights, while the white wives roam the strip malls.

• Violia
    Violia

I grew up in Peyton place, seriously. White sister was told by elders not to marry black brother due to worldly prejudice and not bringing dishonor on Jehovah's organization. this was 1970.

when I was about 14 there was still a sign up in the local Woolworth diner that said" Whites only". I recall going in for a soda and a youngish black man sitting down next to me and trying to order. I think he knew they would refuse to serve him but he did it as a protest. I was shocked they refused to serve him and ask if they would serve me and they said yes, I was white. So he gave me his money and I ordered for him and he ate. Of course the manager ask him to leave later but still it was a memorable moment in my life. I just could not believe what I saw b/c blacks were welcome at the kh, even if intermarriage was heavily discouraged. In fact if you wanted to intermarry you would probably be ask to move to a more appropriate city. ( anywhere but there).

In my area there really was only two classes, white or black. Poor whites where considered black and Mexicans didn't even count. they just picked fruit. It was OK to intermarry with Mexicans, but not blacks.

Even as late as the early 90's a black brother went with us into a diner and the waitress almost called us "N... lovers" and refused to serve him. We all left as we were just horrified.

as far as drama in Congo's, well I can only speak for the ones I attended which were primarily white. Very uptight whites folks who can't dance, but Hey, I can. ( smile)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit