What is difference between Black Congregations and White Congregations

by Pitchess Co-Gen 72 Replies latest jw experiences

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am white but was raised in a congregation where almost everyone was black and poor. We lived in an exclusively white area. During the 50s and 60s, racism associated poverty with being African-American. There were very few professional black role models. I wanted the niceness of my realtives upscale (relatively) congregations. My father was racist but he made an exception for black Witnesses. Strangely, his racism did not move us to a whiter congregation.

We were the outsiders which was very uncomfortable. When black brothers and sisters visited us, the neighbors immediately called to ask if we were selling our house to them. Such conduct now is unthinkable to me. Because of the KH exposure, I was far, far more comfortable with black folk than my classmates at school. I became very interested in the civil rights movement.

Coping with the poverty was hard for me. If I had to attend a meeting in the housing project, I was terrified. Strangely, my classmates in the projects saw my family coming and going. When the racial riots happened at school, I had extra defense. The brothers were functionally illiterate. Perhaps two or three had true reading skills. It caused a crisis b/c when I discovered them misreading the WT in fifth grade, I felt I was sinning against the HOly Spirit and would perish. We were working poor but seemed rich in comparison.

Our whole geographical area was black so the district and circuit assemblies were mostly black. True integration needed more than residence. I was shocked, utterly shock to find out that in the South, congregations were segregation. The Society said it was in deference to the customs of the area as though such stigma and unJesus like conduct could be dismissed so readily. No one I know left when they discovered this fact.

Much of who I am was shaped by being the outcast white minority. People told me I had soul and was not white. Yet when I peered into the mirror, I certainly saw white. Frankly, I loved attending white congregations. More people could read, the discussions were better. I am relating what I knew as a child and young teenager. The systemic tie between race and poverty was not clear. I thought anyone could achieve with error.

There was keen racial tension at school. I was attacked many times for being white. White teachers would clearly see the incidents and ignored them. Poverty upsets me no end. Throughout my life, I fear it much more readily than middle class Americans. I fear I will descend. The Witnesses themselves were decent people. It would have nice to have been invited to a dinner, party or some celebration that occurred. Of course, my family did not start the ball going.

So most of what I experienced would have been far worse in West Virginia with mountaineers.

• snowbird
    snowbird

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/175154/1/Black-Families-Shunning

I've never witnessed hardcore shunning in Black families.

Syl

• TMS
  • snowbird
    snowbird

I remember that, TMS!

LOL.

Syl

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I was shocked, utterly shock to find out that in the South, congregations were segregation. The Society said it was in deference to the customs of the

area as though such stigma and unJesus like conduct could be dismissed so readily. No one I know left when they discovered this fact.

A black circuit overseer used to tell me stories about serving in the south during the civil rights movement. He said that the Society even segregated his work--which means, black congregations got black co's and white congregations got white. He said they needed double the co's. But what disturbed me was that here was this northern black man, in a tie, with a briefcase (book bag) knocking on doors. He immediately stirred up suspicion from the racist locals that he was "a northerner mixing up trouble" and working for the civil rights movement.

At the time, he told how he was able to clarify his message, and in the process, teach some white southerners about the bible. That sounded great. But the more I think, (since I can now think) I realize how UNLOVING the society was to put this man and his wife in such danger. Who was supposed to back him up? Disempowered black brothers? I mean, would it have not been safer to have mixed with the white brothers, who had the power, than to leave this CO to fend for himself?

I don't know if any of that just made sense. But I'm saying they put him in harm's way. And he had to fend for himself. He was a great guy too. I feel sad that he sacrificed so much for nothing.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I know of one Northern Black JW who was sent down our way to serve where the need was greater.

The year was 1970, a time of seething racial tension.

One day, a White business owner ordered him to leave his job as a window washer.

The JW protested, "But I'm not mixed up in the protest movement."

The White man replied, "You're a nigger, ain't you?"

True story.

Syl

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

The congregation I went to was predominately black. We were one of two white families and there was a Mexican family also. I LOVED that congregation. I had great friends there. Most were friendly, down to earth and kind. We went to the hall with the same people for over 15 years.

When the society decided to change the boundaries of the city, we were moved to a new hall. It was mostly white with a few blacks and again, one mexican family. I HATED that hall. The people were cliqueish and cold. I didn't last too long there. I really did give it a try but it was not the same.

• blondie
    blondie

In this area, congregations are fairly mixed. There have been local needs talks over the years even up until today about prejudice of lighter black jws towards darker black jws....usually given by a darker black elder. I am not black and was oblivious to any underlying prejudice in this area but some of the sisters mentioned they had been "victims" of it.

It always seemed strange to me that the tanner a white person got, the more status they had because it supposedly indicated they had money and a flexible schedule to visit island vacation areas.

I don't think congregations are segregated any longer in the southern US since that has been against the law for almost 50 years. But as to mental prejudices, they persist everywhere

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Yeah Blondie the "lighter vs darker" thing has been going on since slavery times. I didn't realize it was still such an issue that the congregation would have to do local needs on it though.

• blondie
    blondie

Probably a pet peeve of this elder or there is a problem.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit