What is difference between Black Congregations and White Congregations

by Pitchess Co-Gen 72 Replies latest jw experiences

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

The congregation I was in was kind of mixed mostly white, black and hispanic not many asians. Being white I never felt anything odd with the blacks but I did with the hispanics. I felt a subtle dislike directed at me be that as it may i just tried to ignore it and act normal.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Growing up, English language congos were a minority in my area which was urban. Latino congos literally outnumbered them 25 to 1. When I moved away to a different area a couple of hours away, I attended the local Latino congo. Unlike where I had come from, it was majority Mexican, and was quite different culturally (where I was from it wasn't Mexican, it was Caribbean/S American). Very different as a matter of fact. It was a bit of a culture shock at the start. Also, the quality of the talks and the organization in general was very shabby compared to the polished congos where I had moved from.

There was another congo in the area that formed up that was Spanish speaking. The brothers however, would self segregate. The great majority of the Mexicans in the area attended one, while the Cubans S. Americans etc did the other. The Cubans had a superiority complex I hated. The Mexicans weren't too hot either, but I stayed at the Mex Congo.

I remember my last few years there. 4 congos used our hall: 3 English and 1 Spanish. The contrast was obvious just from looking at the parking lot. The former with expensive cars, BMWs, Benzes, etc. The latter with beat up pickup trucks and vans. I used to borrow a big club van to pick up interested persons at the migrant farmers camp. Since most of those people lived out of town and didn't have transportation, I'd spend much of the rest of the Sunday driving them around to the supermarket etc so they could buy the things they needed. A lot of them didn't know how to read and write, and some of them even had some difficulty speaking Spanish (they spoke native Mexican languages). You can learn a lot about the ways of other people. I also attended a French language congo for a while. It was a small congo with a vast territory. It was 90% black haitian, with a couple of white families from Quebec thrown in.

Our PO didn't speak English, so I often acted as his translator in dealing with correspondence or communications from the English bros. We often had trouble paying our end of the bills, and as account servant, I'd always have to warn the PO when the bank account was running dry. We weren't a wealthy congregation. The wealthy English congos, which were mostly white, wanted to replace everything with new everything all the time and to split the payments 4 ways. I feel that the Spanish language congo was not well or fairly treated by the English bros on top of that. Decisions were often 3 to 1. They had issues of their own. Pissed me off.

• Scott77
    Scott77

marked for later

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit