What is difference between Black Congregations and White Congregations

by Pitchess Co-Gen 72 Replies latest jw experiences

• snowbird
    snowbird

The lighter versus darker Black thingy, or vice-versa, still plays out in our daily lives.

I like this guy's take on JW's approach to non-White people.

http://www.unc.edu/~elliott/aar_dc.html

LOL.

Syl

• minimus
    minimus

Black congregations have predominantly black people.

White congregations have predominantly white people.

Hope this helps.

• snowbird
  • Iron Head
    Iron Head

INTEGRATE those congregations! We can't allow people to mix with their own kind! BUS 'EM!

• minimus
    minimus

Snowy, you know I'm right (again).

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Its crazy that the dark skinned vs light skinned thing is still in effect in some areas. I remember being a teenager with hormones on fire, and there was a neighborhood that somehow developed the reputation of having all the pretty light skinned girls with long hair. If one of your friends stated he had a girlfriend from that neighborhood, you just assumed he had a model. It wasn't till I got older and realized how self racist that way of thinking is. I'm thinking as time goes on, that entire way of thinking will go extinct, I hope so anyways as its retarded. Its funny how what I've found attractive physically in females has changed as I've gotten older. Nowadays, I find myself not liking light skinned black women, but prefer brown skinned and dark skinned ones.

As far as differences between congregations go, like others said, its subjective. I've seen lively white congregations, and dull black congregations full of old people. There was one white congregation I'll never forget though. I've given talks at that hall. My dad had surgery done a couple months prior to me visiting this hall one time. I knew he desperately wanted to get out of the house. So I called him and invited him to come along with me. He was ecstatic. This hall is in a somewhat well to do community. There's quite a few money makers, and influential professionals in this community. That congregation which was all white, I don't recall one black person in the audience, and it had to have been the deadest hall I've ever come across. All middle aged and elderly white people. The youngest people were in their 30s. When driving my dad back home, he said the hall was like a morgue. The funny thing is, considering the mild drama in his congregation, he said the dead hall would have been a breath of fresh air.

I'm kinda glad you brought this thread up , cuz my situation has just changed dramatically, and I'm considering moving to another congregation, and that dead hall is a little bit out of my way, but its the first choice on my radar. I just want to go somewhere that I know nobody will bother me. That congregation is too old and dead to pester a prospective fader. I have to say, that hall is sooo dead and layed back, it's comical.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I'm not sure about that UC. I know that if one of my cousins were to bring home a white sister, the sh** would hit the fan!

That's the "They are our equals, I will eat with them, but don't let my daughter/son bring one home" syndrome. It can work both ways.

It's a common barrier to removing prejudice. Most who think like this are sincere enough in wanting an end to racism, but they just think the races don't need to mix like that beyond social gatherings.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

My son's in-laws attended a predominantly black congregation in South Carolina for awhile (mid-90's) and were shocked at what they called "reverse discrimination." They couldn't get close to anybody. The father-in-law invited one of the elders to his home for dinner, and the elder said "my wife can cook." There were other examples. They don't miss the congregation at all. I guess discrimination can work both ways.

• undercover
    undercover
    ...shocked at what they called "reverse discrimination."

There's no such thing as "reverse discrimination". There's discrimination...period. But I understand what they're getting at.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    but prefer brown skinned and dark skinned ones.

I'm light-skinned, but have always wished I was darker.

My first and only boyfriend was what we call "blue black."

I guess discrimination can work both ways.

Yes, unfortunately, it does.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit