What is difference between Black Congregations and White Congregations

by Pitchess Co-Gen 72 Replies latest jw experiences

• Pitchess Co-Gen
    Pitchess Co-Gen

I'm from South Los Angeles and been to Black congregations all my life, but I moved 70-75 miles north from where I grew up. I just want to know the difference .

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

When I was in New York, my congregation was mostly black (I am white). They seemed to be tighter and more friendly. They were always having get togethers and seemed to have a greater bond with each other. I didn't see a lot of the judgmental-ness that I saw in congregations that were largely white.

Of course, that is all subjective. I'm sure there are congregations that exist that are the opposite.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Like BD said its all subjective.

One thing Confession and I always talked about black congo's can be a lil loser on the whole DF'd thing. Once again this is subjective.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

black congo's can be a lil loser on the whole DF'd thing

I think you mean "looser", not "loser", lol.

• undercover
    undercover

Even though the congregations were slow to integrate (it was reactionary, not proactive action) I have to say that, for the most part, most JWs are pretty much color blind. There may be some cultural differences in how we grew up, but with the common interest of being a JW, it did help push those differences and sometime prejudices to the background.

For all that's wrong with JWs and the WTS, this is one area I've never seen a major problem.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

IMHO, the black congregations were much more warm and friendly.

I attended a congregation in Harlem for six+ years. For more than three of those years, I was the only white person. I loved it.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

I'm not sure about that UC. I know that if one of my cousins were to bring home a white sister, the sh** would hit the fan!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

USA? No good asking me. I'm from the UK. Most of our congregations are mixed race.

Perhaps one positive thing the Borg has done!

Having said that..................................I never used to see mixed race marriages in the washTowel or Asleep! Illustrations. No surprise, the Borg tried to take sides with Hitler in WW2!!!

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Serenitynow!: I know that if one of my cousins were to bring home a white sister, the sh** would hit the fan!

Thats universal black woman response not religous ;-)

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!
    Thats universal black woman response not religous ;-)

Haha! Yeah, you're right!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit