Is there a Logical explanation for the spooky things happening at my daughter, Ali's house?!?!!!!

by coffee_black 141 Replies latest jw friends

• Giordano
    Giordano

The placing of a favorite dress carefully on a bed (while Mom is out of the room gathering up keys and purse) might be something a loving child would do with all good intentions thinking that it might be a cheery sight. However coming on the heels of the shoes in the attic situation and dealing with a stressful medical condition might have caused a reaction that confused or even scared the child. Guilt can create denial and silence.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

hi Lion Cask

I'd say you were pretty vehement but I don't think that is an insult (it wasn't intended to be). The trouble with the term rational is that it includes only that which one considers to be possible and/or likely. If we reject a paranormal explanation for things because we 'know' that they are not possible, what we consider rational may in fact not be, simply because we have excluded a set of explanations (ie 'paranormal ones'). In this case I don't know whether there is a 'supernatural' explanation or not. I don't think anyone else knows for a fact that paranormal events do not occur either (though they may sound certain and consider themselves to be correct).

I agree that many seem to look for the supernatural in almost everything that happens in their day-to-day lives and this is perhaps equally inappropriate. I am just suggesting keeping an open mind.

• Black Sheep
  • Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

Thank you, Black Sheep.

All I ask for, GromitSK, is evidence.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Hi Lion Cask

Well I don't argue with your position, you are perfectly entitled to hold it and I don't say it is unreasonable from your point of view. You would probably agree however that just because you aint satisfied with what you have seen and heard (or rather not seen or heard ), it doesn't mean others can't form a different view based on their own research and observations. As long as they don't simply expect you to accept it as gospel (sorry couldn't resist that).

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

This is a public forum in which people are expressing their perspectives, to which they are most certainly entitled, GomitSK. In the absense of a single, solitary, verifiable shred of evidence for what they posit in public they are also entitled to public skepticism and dismissal. I'm just doing my part to help rid the world of superstition and ignorance.

backatcha.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

lol I get your point.

However scepticism and dismissal based on your personal opinion alone (or mine for that matter) isn't always worth much and I suspect the OP would be more interested in your rationale. There is a great deal of evidence to support survival gathered over 150 years. Is it proof? It depends what your own experience is and what level of evidence satisfies you. Can it all be easily dismissed - I don't think so.

Unless the OP (or anyone else on here) knows you, she may not care what your opinion is unless it is supported by factual information she can assess so it doesn't actually help her to answer the original question she raised and which you chose to respond to.

I don't propose to enter into a parapsychological debate on this thread as it will take it off track, however if you're genuinely interested in discussing the subject there are a few threads already discussing it or perhaps we can start one? I have to say it will mean you reading a book or two on the research if you haven't already so that we can discuss the subject on common ground. I am only interested in discussing it on the basis of developing understanding (my own and whoever else is interested) and not in trying to prove you wrong (or vice versa) or that we survive physical death as I don't really have much interest in your opinion per se, more in how you arrived at it. If you're convinced you're right then there isn't much point in discussing it further.

ps I am nipping off as it is late and I won't be able to respond for a bit.

• trevor
    trevor

There is a logical explanation for all phenomena.

Finding it is the challenge but each of us will be influenced by our beliefs, opinions and prejudice.

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

Why don't some of you go down and help the lady find a "logical" explanation for the goings-on at her house?

JDW

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Giordano.... the kids were with her... no opportunity for them to do this. It wasn't a favorite dress...just one she wore 5 years ago to an event for the American Heart assoc.

Coffee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit