I'm going to end my "bible" study

by KristiKay 44 Replies latest jw friends

• KristiKay
    KristiKay

Hi everyone

I posted a while back, I've been studying with a nice Jehovas Witness lady for probably about 6 months. After a few weeks I googled a few things (earthquakes, how long we've been on earth, ect.) I realised she was very misinformed. Then I realised she had no intrest in learning anything from me, she just wanted to convince me of her, what I consider to be bizarre, logic. The more I looked into things, I learned how distructive this religion is. I started to get a little angry. How can someone come to my house and try to pull me into this religion, wich could eventually cause problems for me and my family, when they won't even look into anything negative anyone has to say about the organisation. I felt this was almost irresponsible. I know she's not intending to harm me, I feel she whole heartedly believes everything she says, but I'm thinking to myself how can she encourage me to look into all the bad things that the catholoic church has done, but she would never do the same with the WT. The thing that I couldn't believe was the issues she brought up about the church (pedifiles, mistranslateing the bible, supporting Hitler) are things the WTS has done. I'm like, are you kidding me? I haven't ever brought these things up to her, because I don't want to be rude. I kindof mentioned the UN thing but she quickly dismissed it.

So anyways, every week I gather all this information to explaine my concerns about the JWs, and when Tuesday comes around, I completely chicken out!! I don't know what it is! I think I don't want to hurt her feelings. Oh and a couple weeks ago she brought her COs wife with her, and that was really disturbing! If this woman would have come knocking on my door I would of had no problem slamming the door in her face.

So basically, I think I'm just going to say that this religion is not at all for me, I would have to suspend my intelligence, and rational thought, and I'm not about to do that. Does anyone have any suggestions for somethings I can say to at least put some questions in her mind about the bullshit she's spreading? She's a nice lady, I feel bad that she has devoted her entire life to this.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Good decision and I know you will get some good suggestions for ways to leave and leave questions in this woman's head. All JW's have a list in their heads of things that make them go hmmmm. The longer the list and the bigger the things, the more likely the person will wake up.

• Think About It
    Think About It

KristiKay......can't remember if I welcomed you to the board before, but welcome. Nothing more to see, end the WTS literature based bible study now.

Think About It

• nugget
    nugget

It is hard to say no to people especially if you like them but you are right it is better to leave now than continue with the study.

I would say not let her in next time she comes and say that although you appreciate all the time and effort she has spent trying to teach you about her religion you do not want to become part of it yourself. You have prayerfully investigated what she has taught you and were dissappointed to discover how inaccurate and misleading the literature is. As God hates liars you could not see yourself affiliated with a religion that routinely uses lies to indoctrinate it's members. Thank her again for her time and effort and wish her well in her own search for the truth. I'd also return any books she left with you as that is pretty final. Then say goodbye you have to go you have another appointment.

Don't waste time and effort in debate she will not listen or care what you say she will only be thinking about what she wants to say. Keep it short and sweet she has had enough of your time already.

• hubert
    hubert

Congratulations on doing your research.

The j.w.'s try to get you to the point that "only" what they teach, is the truth. Once they get you to believe that, then you are hooked. That's what happened to my daughter. I'm glad you didn't let it happen to you.

Do a search for a letter...."An open letter to Jehovah Witnesses" by Gaila Noble. I can't link it here, but you can find it this way. Print out two copies....one for you, and one for your j.w. teacher.

Of course, she will tell you it's all lies and it's an isolated case, but it isn't. This happens all the time, once "worldly" people get baptized into the cult. Once you are in and baptized, there is no easy way to leave, without losing all j.w. friends and relatives.

You go, girl !

Hubert

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

You are making a wise decision. Try not to blame the JW, though. She is indoctrinated in a way that even she doesn't understand. Some researchers call it "thought reform" and others call it "mind control." Whatever you want to call it, she is conditioned to think, feel, and act a particular way and to immediately put up barriers when that way is threatened. The mother organization behind the JWs, The Watchtower Society, is to blame, not the individual JWs themselves.

I hope you can help this woman a little and then get yourself OUT.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Do you have her phone number to call her, would she be listed? Would that be easier to say what you truly want to say?

• mamalove
    mamalove

I would just invite her in, make her a cup of tea, tell her that you think she is a lovely lady, that the study has really made you think, do research and there are some JW beliefs that do not coincide with your conclusions, and that you no longer wish to take up her valuable time since you know that the purpose of preaching is to get householders baptised and that will not be happening. Say it with a smile!

• Heaven
    Heaven

Good idea to stop now, KristiKay. Just tell the lady straight. You do not agree with their interpretation of scripture and their doctrines that have no scriptural backing and therefore, you are not interested in becoming a Jehovah's Witness.

Be kind but firm. Thank her for her time and wish her well. If she pushes just say you have to go and wish her a good day. If she wants to push more just a) walk away/leave if this is a face to face meeting b) hang up the phone if this is a telephone meeting.

The more you practice saying "No." to someone the easier it gets. If you need to, practice what you will say to her beforehand.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

You go girl!

I second everything that was said above. Good for you using your God-given ability to "discern" (a nice JW buzzword)!

-Yan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit