Who Was Your Favorite Speaker?

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

I enjoyed John Barr's talks.

• four candles
    four candles

George Hilton.......funny and informative!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am older. Nathan Knorr's was a good speaker. I did not agree with what he said, even then. Ray Franz wasn't bad but the numerology could get tiresome. There were some not so famous Bethel speakers. I grew up next to an urban ghetto. We'd need to go to Yankee Stadium to hear someone literate and trained in public speaking. The local brothers were illiterate. Of course, the best speaker could have been a woman but we were silenced.

I adored it when they started putting on plays of Bible stories. It was so novel.

No one in the Witnesses could talk the way certain politicians do, such as Kennedy (john and Ted) or Obama. College, law school, and professional seminars placed me with good public speakers. The Anglican church I attended had a decent priest (NYC had amazing priests!) but the lay people also gave seminars. The lay people were just as good.

I was very much a captive audience with the Witnesses. The Witnesses don't tend to get the most gifted or brightest tacks. I'd love to hear someone not parroting Witness doctrine but stating their own views even if those views agreed with the Witnesses.

• nelly136
    nelly136

min it was just a wave of blah blah blah blah blah, i honestly can't remember which were the most notable blahs amongst them.

• St George of England
    St George of England

In the UK - David Algar (still going I believe)

George

• minimus
    minimus

I thought Ray Franz was a dull speaker. Freddy was quite interesting, though. Knorr, I thought was just ok. I used to love Brother Friend's warm fatherly voice.

• cofty
    cofty

John Flack - UK co & do

• therevealer
    therevealer

I musta bin pretty good . . . One time when I travelled about four hours with the wife and two kids staying in a camp ground for the night previous I was asked when arriving at the hall if I would be terribly put off if a brother that had drifted in unexpectedly from Vancouver gave the talk. He was an old friend of the congregation. With the greatest humility I said that would be just fine. It was one of the times I was actually asked out for a meal though. Another time travelling about three hours in the opposite direction in early winter road conditions slowed the trip enough to make me late arriving. Assuming that I was coming and just late they had the tower first so that they could have the talk last. Do others remember that usually if invited out for a meal it would end up being the obviously poorer ones in the congregation. Then you could feel uncomfortable since they seemed to have little themselves. I will have to admit though that you always felt the hospitality when invited.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Other than him it was two Circuit Overseers: Vernon Wheeler (bald) and Ray Harriman (reminded my of the character Vincini (sp?) from The Princess Bride).

I remember liking Harriman because I was a kid and he was a clown. Couldn't give even the shortest talk without including a joke. Barrell of laughs.

I heard Fred Franz a couple times, but he was old and didn't use a script at the time. Horrible rambling mess.

Not to be cocky but I was one of the better speakers at my congregation from around age 10 until the day I left.

• man in black
    man in black

Paul Illingsworth

Wow, after thirty years as a jw, this man was the absolute best speaker I ever heard !

he was our CO back in the late 70's and I always made the meetings when he would be speaking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit