Karate

by Ranchette 21 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT

My son took Taekwondo for a number of years. He got to purple belt, but has mostly given it up to concentrate on his music. (Martial arts AND heavy metal music, oh dear what will the elders say?)

Both have been very good for him. They instill focus and confidence and self-reliance. Oh I forgot, those are bad qualities, must rely on the Borg.

• Mulan
    Mulan

We put our youngest son in Tae Kwon Do, when he was about 15. He was being terribly bullied in school, and was just too passive. I decided to interview some dojo's and the very first one I went to, convinced me that it isn't an agressive form of martial arts, but, as you said, it promotes self confidence. We were still very active dubs, and hubby was an elder, so we kept it hush hush, and then we gradually faded out anyway.

He got to brown belt, but was working full time and going to college, had no time to attend the classes. He loved it. It was funny seeing him, at 6'2", and little 4 and 5 year olds, in the same class. Those little Asian kids are tiny. Our tall redhead really stood out. It did him a lot of good, and accomplished the purpose we intended.

He went into counseling in his Junior year in HS, and had a Japanese therapist, who recommended martial arts for him. He was very pleased to hear he was doing it already.

Marilyn (aka Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit