Karate

by Ranchette 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

This year I have learned so much and what I keep being taught repeatedly through experience this time instead of what someone tells me, is that much of what the Society taught us about the world and many of the things in it is pure nonsence!

I'm just giving one example for now even though there are many.
    My son who is in elementary school has over a period of time expressed a desire to do something extracurricular.
    OH the shame!!!

Now out of all the different things out there we chose Karate.

JWs frown on this because its a form of self defence, a competitive sport and they have labeled it and all Martial Arts in fact as demonized.

He is learning Shotokan Karate.He loves it and not one demon or demonized thing has happened so far and never will.

In fact I like what they are teaching my son.

This saying is on the wall of the school or Dojo,

"The porpose of Karate is not to conquer others, but to conqure the weaknesses of oneself."

Sounds real evil hugh?

It also teaches self confidence which the Society frowns upon.Wouldn't want to think too much of oneself would we?

Self control-Jws should like this one.
    Respect for self and others

The Dojo precepts are as follows,
    Ophold the principles of propriety and courtesy.
    Cultivate a spirit of effort.
    Perfect a mind of patience.
    Live the way of truth.
    Do not loose self control or act in a violent manner.

I told my husband that it was great to teach good values and principles to my son in a fun way instead of all those meetings.

Any one else doing Martial Arts?

Our JW families and friends would freak if they knew about this!

Ranchette

• Helen
    Helen

Its not evil or Demonised,they said those things to scare us and by golly it did for the longest time. your son will do just fine, he will learn to not be a victim, and that is worth everything.

• rekless
    rekless

my son took up Savat karate, he just lovesit. He has progressed to a brown belt and the classes has drawn him out of his shell.

When we left the "order of the witnesses", that is the fisrt thing he joined and he was in his senior year in high school.

good for your son. and there isn't anything demonized about the dojo, kees, or the bowing before the matches just shows respect for the combatants and the area of competition..

• Flip
    Flip

As long as the youngster doesn’t compromise weekend ‘field service’.

I find it absolutely appalling that Brooklyn would frown upon anyone standing up to use a microphone and displayed lyrics to entertain yourself or others by singing your heart out while accompanied by taped music.

Simply dreadful…speaking of dreadful, after all isn’t the singing done almost the same way at conventions!

Flip

• terafera
    terafera

Thats KARATE not KAREOKE.

LOL!!

• Flip
    Flip

tera'

...oops...nevermind.

Flip

• terafera
    terafera

LMAO Thats okay Flip! You gave me a chuckle.. I thought your post was cute

Gnight!

• rekless
    rekless

tera, thanks for brining that out , hell I was trying to think what in the hell Flip was talking about...hahahahahLOLROTF icouldn't connect karate with singing hahaha.

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

Tera,
    Your quicker than me.
    I didn't know what in the world singing and microphones had to do with Karate!
    I thought Flip had flipped out.
    Glad to know he just got those oriental K words mixed up.

Ranchette

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I've been studying martial arts for almost ten years now and both my kids started when they were little. My oldest gave it up, it wasn't his cup of tea and my youngest is very much into it. It 's been nothing short of a great addition in my life and as for my youngest who is still active, it has done a lot for him also, in a very positive way.
    I would occasionally get the sermon about what i'm opening myself up to, the bad side mostly being a "False sense of security". It's wrong to put your faith in weapons or training in self defense rather then trusting in God. I just learned to ignore it because nothing you can say will convince most JWs that what your doing has any real benifits.
    plm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit