Will there ever be another defection from the GB?

by stuckinamovement 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

Yes, Blondie that is accurate. When several (including Ray and wife) of us met at Peter Gregersons in the early '80's there were a couple of people there, one in particular, who were very blunt in their negative feelings towards Ray. She expressed openly that she felt he "left" because he was forced out and only then did he feel compelled to write CofC. She felt he shared the guilt of the GB in many of the things he exposed.

Ray was a very humble man. He accepted the criticism quietly and without any attempt to make a vocal defense. I respected him for that. After all, he titled his book "Crises of Conscience" didn't he?

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

I don't know-you could have another Worldwide Church of God awakening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMGJERAGMT4

Someone posted this before and I thought it was interesting. It's about an hour long. I watched it a while back and remember how interesting some of the similarities were to the WTS.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Having gone on my own spiritual journey after examining my JW path, I have figured out that I would have left the JW's pretty much no matter what.

I don't believe that same statement is true of others- many need the right push from a friend or family member or maybe they need to see something wrong in the congregation or organization.

Still, I gotta believe that any man who gets to the top has gotten past that "no matter what" stage. All that's left is "the right push." They've seen most everything and managed to suppress it. Their cognitive dissonance is working overtime in order to stay. It would be rare to walk out. The best hope, IMHO, would be for a very close friend or relative of a newer GB member to leave and have an opportunity to tell the GB member why they had to leave.

Edited to add:

Oh, but all bets are off if there's money involved. If the corporation is falling apart, some GB member might want to be the first with their "tell-all" book.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

There will be at some point, it may be in one year, it may be in fifty years.

While they have insulated themselves from a defection fairly well, deep down somewhere inside these guys are human just like us. It all depends on your BS tolerance level. All of us have found a way out because that tolerance level was exceeded, and we said we just cannot take it any more.

Someday one of them will once again say "No more BS" and get out, no matter the cost.

• Gayle
    Gayle

stuckinamoment,,specifically, which 4 GB ones were raised in versus the other 4 converted into JW?

antes,, David Splane, doesn't sound very humble to publicly and openly criticize elderly members, criticizing them as "murmurers." And, which one or two do you think are capable to have a 'crisis of conscience' also now?

tweetiebird,,that was more than amazing for the Worldwide Church to go through a radical change like that,,but did they have things like members going to prison over the draft back in those days, did they have members who lost their lives due to something of the sort like blood transfusions, organ transplants,,vaccinations. Did they sacrifice all their economics for the organization and most mostly broke, and had they been denied college. Too many JWs have paid too much of a price and are close to being broken in spirit, whether still in or not!

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

Gayle, I don't know the answer to that, probably not. I agree, pretty amazing that they would come clean like that, and I believe they lost at least half their membership in doing so. Like I said it's been a while since I watched it.

• zarco
    zarco

Decades ago the Jw religion prided itself on its religious creativity and thinking ability. It may have been easier then to defect for conscience or doctrinal reasons. Today it is not a thinking group. It is a survival group. So no, I don't think we will see a defection because the individual defecting cannot run to the intellectual high ground. There is not even a doctrinal opposing point with credibility. When it comes to this religion there is not any high ground remaining. If there is a defection it will be for a selfish reason not a principled one.

z

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

If there is another one, he'll have an anchor tied around his neck at the bottom of the Hudson River. They won't let another one do any damage.

• dave-c
    dave-c

Haha,

I read the thread title as "Will there ever be another defecation from the GB?"

In which case.....

DC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit