From Richard Dawkins' Preface to "The God Delusion"

by AK - Jeff 26 Replies latest jw friends

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

BTS,

Well, Vox basically shows the lack of facts and evidence of some of the remarks they make that they don't back up or mislead with selective data.

I don't agree with all Vox says about his Christian faith ( he mentions that Christians say the Satan is the ruler of this world but doesn't really expand on that in regards to Jesus's authority or how Satan is NOT the ruler for believers) but in regards to the "facts" that have been put out by Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens and Dennet (sp?), he shows them to be anything BUT that and he shows that be hard evidence.

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman
    If you are suggesting I beleive in that then you are mistaken. As usual.

Not at all - just bringing balance to the discussion.

As usual???? You must have me mistaken for someone else....he he he......

• poor places
    poor places

For anyone who hasn't read the chapter in The God Delusion entitled 'Why God Almost Certainly Doesn't Exist' (or something like that), I highly recommend doing so. In this chapter, Dawkins talks about how he received several pamphlets about creation from the Watchtower society. Then he proceeds to tear apart all of their arguments. It's pretty entertaining, and Dawkins is a smart guy.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

As usual???? You must have me mistaken for someone else....he he he......

Not very likely ;)

• xchange
    xchange

I'm curious about PSacramento's comment: "though his knowledge about religion needs some work...". What areas did you think he was lacking in and did this have any bearing on his conclusions?

Thanks!

• xchange
    xchange

@OTWO.....happens all the time.....

I agree that many have. I guess I wonder why many more don't. After debunking the JW doctrine to my satisfaction, I turned my attention to the concept of god and like you found insufficient evidence to his/her/it's existence. I don't dogmatically state so, but feel intellectually balanced to lean towards the non-existence of any supreme being. What I still don't get are people who will say that god exists but they just 'know' it and they state it dogmatically. Weird. But, let live.*

*except when beliefs of the god concept interfere with my life ;)

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I'm curious about PSacramento's comment: "though his knowledge about religion needs some work...". What areas did you think he was lacking in and did this have any bearing on his conclusions?
    Thanks!

I think that Dawkins has abasic grasp of the religions he critiques, but not a deep enough one to acknowledge that AMNY of his points have been addressed over and over by others before him, in some cases WAY before him.

I am not sure if he understands the concept of Grace or Judgement or how they apply to Christianity in particular, I am not sure he realises that not all christians are bible literalists, then there are the issues of his view on relgion and wars , the topics of the cruzades and inquisitions.

With honesty I think the problem is that Richard is simply vpoicing his opinion, liek anyone else, but because of his authoritive way of writing, it seems he is stating facts when he isn't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit