From Richard Dawkins' Preface to "The God Delusion"

by AK - Jeff 26 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

http://www.infoamerica.org/documentos_pdf/dawkins10.pdf

The word ‘delusion’ in my title has disquieted some psychiatrists who regard it as a technical term, not to be bandied about. Three of them wrote to me to propose a special technical term for religious delusion: ‘relusion’.

Maybe it’ll catch on. But for now I am going to stick with ‘delusion’, and I need to justify my use of it. The Penguin English Dictionary defines a delusion as ‘a false belief or impression’. Surprisingly, the illustrative quotation the dictionary gives is from Phillip E. Johnson: ‘Darwinism is the story of humanity’s liberation from the delusion that its destiny is controlled by a power higher than itself.’ Can that be the same Phillip E. Johnson who leads the creationist charge against Darwinism in America today? Indeed it is, and the quotation is, as we might guess, taken out of context. I hope the fact that I have stated as much will be noted, since the same courtesy has not been extended to me in numerous creationist quotations of my works, deliberately and misleadingly taken out of context. Whatever Johnson’s own meaning, his sentence as it stands is one that I would be happy to endorse. The dictionary supplied with Microsoft Word defines a delusion as ‘a persistent false belief held in the face of strong contradictory evidence, especially as a symptom of psychiatric disorder’.

The first part captures religious faith perfectly. As to whether it is a symptom of a psychiatric disorder, I am inclined to follow Robert M. Pirsig, author of

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance , when he said, ‘When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion.’

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

That delusion exists only until it is removed. No, not the God delusion, the no-God delusion. :)

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Love that Pirsig quote. Zen is top on my list of books to read.

delusion...a persistent false belief held in the face of strong contradictory evidence...

IMO, religious delusion makes a good parallel to non-lucid dreaming (if only because I had a lucid dream last night).

In my dreams, nothing makes much sense. My house looks nothing like my house, my wife may not be my wife, and somehow I can fly! All of these things contradict what I know to be real. It should be a clear sign that I'm dreaming but my mind still perceives it as reality. My mind wants it to be real, right? And usually my nervous system just accepts whatever it's presented in that REM state. To me, it's similar to those who accept a holy book at face value from an early age.

But occasionally I become lucid when I realize something's really not right... and manage to recognize the delusion, convincing myself I'm just dreaming. I know that's not uncommon but I can't help but equate it to becoming aware of the God delusion and taking control of one's own life.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I have yet to read Dawkin's book. But I have already busted the delusion, and so expect that his words will be refreshing.

Jeff

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

That delusion exists only until it is removed. No, not the God delusion, the no-God delusion.

Yes, believing in silent invisible sky people is totally rational.

• xchange
    xchange

I often wonder if those who have left the JW's - after realizing they had a delusion about the organization, have thought about applying that experience to the belief of god?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

xchange, it happens all the time. AK-Jeff and OnTheWayOut are two examples of ex-JW's that thought about applying their experience (concerning their delusions about the organization) to the belief in God.

Many others have, also. Some still believe in God.

As for myself, I have sufficiently proven that the Bible is not a product of any God worth worshipping. I doubt the existence of a "creator" and the proof of life evolving from simpler life is ample enough for me to believe that life could have started from nonlife without intelligent interference.

The God Delusion is a pretty good book.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    I often wonder if those who have left the JW's - after realizing they had a delusion about the organization, have thought about applying that experience to the belief of god?
    AK-Jeff and OnTheWayOut are two examples of ex-JW's that thought about applying their experience (concerning their delusions about the organization) to the belief in God.

Same for me. My wife, too.

What I don't understand is why some born-ins stop short of doing that. It seems to be a very natural step to say, "Well, I bought into this organization because of a presupposition I accepted as a child and I've been wrong all this time.... How can I be so sure the same is not true of the Bible?"

As for those who accept only the good things about the Bible, rejecting the negative, it reminds me of my mother who says she "only looks at the GOOD aspects of the organization." Come to think of it, she may have been the one to led me to question the Bible by her blind devotion.

• wobble
    wobble

I am surprised too that people leaving the JW/Watchtower cult, especially those, like me, who were born-in, do not use their wonderful new found intellectual freedom to educate themselves, and think things through to their logical conclusion.

My journey since leaving caused me to read the bible with open eyes and heart, from doing that I discovered that every unique doctrine held by JW's is false, according to scripture.

I then looked at the provenance of the Bible itself, and found it wanting. It is not the word of God.

I then went on to try to find evidence for any god, I could not find any that stood up to the simplest scrutiny.

I think that those who remain believers in some measure,are probably unread as to God, the Bible etc. and/or they cannot face the reality of no God to lean on, or blame alternately.

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman
    Yes, believing in silent invisible sky people is totally rational.

Yes, just like believing everything came from nothing is totally rational - sheesh....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit