Why the JW's mental image of Paradise is a pipe dream

by Sour Grapes 55 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    vidiot: I've said this before, but in the (admittedly unlikely) event that the WTS were given control over a small country in the present day, I guarantee you that within a decade, democracy would be all but nonexistent, any form of alternative sexual expression would be outlawed, creationism would be mandated in schools, DFed people would be stripped of citizenship and imprisoned or deported, and convicted "apostates" would be sentenced to death without possibility of appeal or reprieve.

And...they would ban any other religion from entering their country to try and convert their followers.

And...they would strip away all First Amendment rights - all the concepts that the WTS fights for in a court of law would be non-existent.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Oops, that's right, I forgot; freedom of religion would be long gone, too.

That one's particularly ironic, considering.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Whats really sad is we all believed this crap and it all comes from the Egyptian book of the Dead. After they passed the final judgement the weighing if thier heart, they would re join with thier spirit and go off to live forever in Paradise called the field of reads. Crazy that we believed in something that came out of a religion over 5000 years ago.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Makes you wonder just how much Egyptian mythology was cribbed by the OT writers...

• SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity

I was watching a lecture about the Theology of JRR Tolkiens' world and the elves never died or aged, but in their immortality they became depressed weary of life, of seeing other living things die or even go extinct. That is why they would still fight for the right thing hoping to gloriously end it all. Death was even called 'The gift of men.' It is strange that the Western view of reincarnation is triumphal in providing a more rational explanation of the metaphor of resurrection (some fundamentalist Mormons even call it baby resurrection), while in the Dharmic tradition the goal of reincarnation is to escape the painful cycle of death and rebirth. The Kingdom is something to build in the here and now, not waiting for Jehovah.

Vidiot there was more Zoroastrian thought cribbed by Old Testament writers than anything. Mormonism is fascinating because it somehow goes full circle and brings a lot of Zoroastrian themes back into Christianity.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great thread!

Thanks for reviving it!

Yes...if anyone seriously believes the 'paradise panda patting fairy tale' the org presents, then they are truly to be pitied......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit