Freemasonry and Jehovah's Witnesses

by Hammer_Of_Thor 63 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Hammer_Of_Thor
    Hammer_Of_Thor

I've read alot of posts here regarding JW's and Freemasonry, and so far I've seen the usual conjecture by non-masons, and a few well written opinions of the inquiring minds among us.

I'm a former JW from Texas, and a current Freemason in Houston. My question is:

What specifically does the WTS say as far as Masonic membership. I know it is "strongly discouraged", but is joining a Lodge an offense worthy of having the "John Smith is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses" announcement.

Oh...and my apologies to any current or past LDS members; John Smith was the first neutral, very general name I could think of.

Any insights would be valued highly. Thanks in advance.

And for the record, this is my first time posting, so please be gentle with me. And where is the spell check option?

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

Welcome Hammer Of Thor We are so happy you found us here, we are all here to help each other no matter what the question/s.

I don't know much about the Masons & JWs so I would direct you to this web-page for the moment:

http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com/hardtruth/dirtywatchtowersecrets.htm

Others here on this forum might know more about your question ...

3Mozzies

• recovering
    recovering

it is a disfellowshipping offence

• designs
    designs

Hammer-

The Society has a mixed track record with the Masons. Russel was accused of being a mason but really wasn't, he gave lectures at some of their Halls. Under Rutherford they came out against joining but their is a famous picture of Fred Franz giving a talk at an Assembly and gesturing with his hand, there is a picture of his Masonic ring, you can make out the sextant.

• Farkel
    Farkel

If a dub can be Dfd for joining the YMCA, you can bet your compass and square a dub would get Dfd for joining the Freemasons, or even the Moose, Elks, or Lions for that matter. Charles Russell once alluded that he was a Freemason but it was worded and in the same context of say, John F. Kennedy saying "ich bein ein berliner", so it's not evidence at all that Russell was ever a Mason. He wasn't.

If the WTS can find demons in a typical used sofa, you can bet your sweet bippy, the WTS can find demons in Freemasonry.

Farkel

• moshe
    moshe

Fremasonry is bad for JWs, because it competes for the same time the JWs want from you. That goes for any charitible group like the Lions club, Rotary club, etc.

• Hammer_Of_Thor
    Hammer_Of_Thor

Thanks for the input and comments. Please keep them coming.

Recovering - I too feel that most judicial committees would act swiftly with the full wrath of af a long-inactive war-mongering Hebrew deity, but I'm looking for some precedence in this arena. Anyone know of someone that was DF'd for joining?

Designs - Thanks for your comment too. Also thanks for stating that CT was accused of membership. I can tell you for a fact that he was not. Although he once said to a congregation "I am a Mason, as are all of you Masons." He later (in the same speech) said that he was not truly a member of the organization even though he did closely associate with those that were.

Farkel - Thanks. Well written response. I love the fact that this forum is a place for thinking minds and open, non accusatory responses. I like it here.

3Mozzies - Thanks for the welcome.

• blondie
  • Farkel
    Farkel

hammar,

: Anyone know of someone that was DF'd for joining?

Nowadays I suspect the person wouldn't be disfellowshiped, but forceably disassociated. Less liability and cleaner that way. The result is the same as I'm sure you know.

When I was young, forced disassociation was only used in one situation. That was when a JW joined the military. The WT couldn't disfellowship them or (at least in the USA) they would face Federal prosecution, so they just announced by that their conduct, those dubs who joined had demonstrated that they no longer wish to be a dub. Also, DAd people weren't shunned, so their would be no good justification for a lawsuit against the Printing Corporation.

Today, however, DAing is slowly taking over DFing as the expedient and safe way to get rid of the troublemakers and mitigate paying money in lawsuits against them.

Farkel

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

When I was a Witness, one of the Elders at my congregation came from a family of masons. I remember him telling me a story about when he was a boy and how he found his father's stash of masonic emblems, though his parents were already JWs by that time.

At any rate, I had the general impression at the time that being a mason would be like becoming a witch to the WTS with spiritism and all that. As far as I know, it's a DFing offense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit