Report: Nordic Nations Are Best for Gender Equality/USA disappoints

by FlyingHighNow 68 Replies latest social current

• beksbks
    beksbks

Hmmmmm

"...female, non-violent prisoners will do about 25-percent of their sentence.."
    Lindsay Lohan was
    sentenced to 90 days in jail and 90 days in rehab:

OJ walked.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Switzerland now has a majority of its cabinet members who are female, we in the UK are not close to that yet, like the US. Spain also has a predominantly female cabinet too. David

Thanks for pointing that out, David. Political Empowerment is the main index in the report(s) that skews U.S. rankings, along with Canada and other European nations where women scored tops for Economic Participation and Opportunity, as well as Educational Attainment (U.S. 6 and 1, respectively). Case in point: It really skewed (screwed?) France's rating when they lost a few female politicians earlier this year.

U.S. women are still in the top third for Political Empowerment but have a long way to go. KEY criteria, is that we haven't had even one female Head of State (yet). But bear in mind, Democrats chose to elect a male for president (Obama with very little political experience) over a female (Clinton with quite literally decades of political experience, much of it in the White House!).

Voters across the spectrum rejected Clinton and Palin, both female candidates. To blame gender disparity on "Bible thumping US lawmakers" simply does not address this reality.

It's also interesting (to me) that the U.S. rate for adolescent fertility (teen pregnancy) is 3 times that of Iceland, 4.5 times that of Finland and Norway. IMHO, nothing is dragging women in my beloved country down faster than dropping out of school to bear the brunt of raising fatherless children alone. And that, with NO education and NO marketable job skills.

If you really want to empower women,

• Encourage them to complete High School, and pursue higher education so they have access to well-paying careers regardless of gender

• Educate them to use birth control until they are financially able to support themselves, before even thinking of bearing children

• VOTE for female political candidates.

The TRULY good news I see in these reports, is that women in developing nations are attaining literacy and secondary education at higher rates than ever. Conditions are incrementally improving in much of Asia and Africa. I cannot imagine a better time for women's success than this, the 21st century. And I refuse to see my personal success as another woman's downfall, or vice versa. We are all in this world together.

Lastly, since it''s fairly obvious that the OP and many here chose not to read the report(s) prior to commenting off the cuff on a purely emotional level, here is the link for your perusal:

http://www.weforum.org/en/Communities/Women%20Leaders%20and%20Gender%20Parity/

~Sue

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

That is a fantastic analysis, Betterdaze. I believe a key to a better future is the empowerment of women. There is no single thing that will beat back the threat of extremist Islam more than this. Can I be truly be free if my sisters are not?

Encourage them to complete High School, and pursue higher education so they have access to well-paying careersregardless of gender

I would like to point out, that in the US, women graduate from institutions of higher learning at rates well in excess of men. I've already inserted copious amounts of information on this in this here thread.

BTS

• beksbks
    beksbks

Another good point on your Tea Party chicks and the right in general. Higher education. Even Jefferson knew that an educated populace was a real key to our freedom. That was long before the global economy we compete in today. Providing education to as many Americans as possible only strengthens us.

The right does not agree.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    She loves standing! I tell her "that's a strong girl! You will grow up to be a strong and wise woman!"

I wish my dad had said things like that to me. She's very lucky to have such a loving daddy. All little girls need to hear this from their fathers and families. Thank you so much for posting her pictures. She is beautiful. Can you tell us her name? I can understand if you can't.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Met, this is not a thread about whether women have jobs in any country, it's about how women are treated in a variety of areas.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

flyinghigh..

there are alot of battered women in the us, "bad boys" treat them awful.

but these women are attracted to "bad boys", what would you do to change the attitude on the female side?

• metatron
    metatron

My point still stands. Excluding employment as part of 'how women are treated' is little different from telling people what the rate of inflation is, while excluding the cost of food, fuel and housing.

And I have a fiercely independent daughter, by the way.

metatron

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Metatron makes a good point. You really can't separate the two.

Also, the weighting of the metric based on political leadership seems far too heavy in my estimation. Pakistan, for example, had a female PM on two different occasions (Benazir Bhutto), which would presumably have bumped them way up in these rankings, yet the treatment of women is atrocious in many parts of the country.

BTS

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

METATRON,

I am glad you have a 'fiercely independent' daughter LOL. I was described by an ignorant JW female friend as 'fiercely independent'. In other words, I guess I don't want to be 'controlled' (as though it were a normal thing to want to be controlled). Anyway, getting back to the title of the thread: it is true that Nordic nations are best for gender equality.

Years ago in the 1970s when a girlfriend of mine went to one of the Scandinavian countries for vacation, she noticed the women were having sexual harassment problems because of all the Turkish men that were working there. Here these women who live in a FREE country, going about and doing their business, now have a problem because men from a backwards culture that oppresses women are all of a sudden in a place where all these attractive women are around them and are FREE. This really made me angry to hear this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit