I don't believe my boyfriend is 100% committed to this religion. How to handle?

by herlovelyworld 62 Replies latest social relationships

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Nathan Natas nailed it for you. If you are wise, you will listen.

The fact that your boyfriend got uncomfortable and tried to change the subject when you brought up religious issues with him, speaks volumes. He is not truly comfortable with totally open-minded communication. That is a more likely predictor of doom for the relationship than being a JW, imo.

He may not be 100% committed to the religion on an intellectual or doctrinal level, but if he is 100% committed to his family and the obligation and guilt he feels, then he is 100% committed to the religion regardless of the reasons for the committal. At any rate, he cannot be 100% committed to you if his family and other social obligations influence him more than you do.

You describe a slightly nerdy, 23 year old virgin. I'm guessing the thought of having sex with you will probably get him to agree to anything at this point. However, years down the road, when the novelty of sex and your relationship has worn off, and a couple of kids in house trigger all his own childhood conditioning to come to the fore (which often happens when couples have children), the differences might become an impassable gulf.

You said a small part of him is OK with maybe giving you flowers on Valentines or letting you have a Christmas tree? That means a BIG part of him isn't OK with it. That is the part you should be paying attention to. Just the fact that he thinks he will "let you" tells you much about the mindset of the JW male. He has been trained from childhood to believe he will be the head of the house, the head of you, and you should be submissive. If he changes his mind and no longer decided to "let you", you will be expected to submit to your husbandly head. This will be constantly reinforced in his head if he ever goes back to the meetings. You may also end up in a heartbreaking battle for your children's minds, if he changes his.

This is not a once a week on Sunday religion. It encompasses every single aspect of its members lives and by default their spouses lives. Nothing will be sacred including your sex life. He may yet decide to confess every single intimate detail of your oral sex to a committee of old men in a fit of misguided guilt.

Sure, he might see your points and get out if he can mature and learn to think for himself. Right now, from what you've described, he is not in that place. It's only wishful thinking on your part. Do you want to gamble your future happiness on it?

You don't have to break up with him if you don't want to, but do not move in with him, marry him or have a child with him, until you see for sure which path he ends up taking. Make sure it is his mind that has changed not just his behaviour. Many, many, many JW's walk on the wild side until they find a mate in the world, and then they want to return to the fold and make themselves right with Jehovah, now that they are happy and content with their life. (leaving the unbelieving mate to say, WTF happened?

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

let's see... 36/2+7 = 25

Oh well. Anyway, as another poster said, only he can free himself. You have no idea how powerful the hold is they exert over their members. He's socially inept because the social rules he knows are all Witness social rules. He's rarely been allowed to hang out with non-witness people. He's a virgin because unless you are married, having sex is one of the worst things a witness can do. He leaves, he loses everything, his home, possibly his job. And I don't mean lose them, I mean, they won't even speak to him, say hello if they pass him on the street.

Witnesses CAN'T compromise. If he goes to your house for Thanksgiving and anyone finds out, grounds for discipline. If anyone finds out about your oral sex, grounds for discipline and possible excommunication.

If he leaves because of you and later regrets it, then the chances are high he will blame you.

If he gives it up on his own, then sure, there is a great chance.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

I can't relate any broad-based statistics, only personal experience with a person who left the Organization (twice), married a non-Witness (twice), returned to the Organization (twice), then divorced (twice). I am her second ex-husband. I don't mean to imply anything sinister or bad by saying that, only that the way a person is raised influences how they react in times of stress and difficulty.

He’s quoted a few scriptures and the watchtower a few times, but it constantly sounds like he’s reading from a script with no emotion and no love.

Yes, because as you said, he is literally reading a script. Watchtower, Awake!, meeting talks, Theocratic Ministry School presentations: they are all detailed scripts for how a good Witness is to live their life. Straying from that script for the sake of a "Worldly" (non-Witness) partner can be very stressful for members of the congregation. They often feel they are sacrificing themselves and making major compromises when you think you are agreeing on common ground.

I encourage you to look into the postings about relationships here, and also those at Freeminds. While you do that, try putting yourself into your partner's position: consider how the relationship fits the viewpoint of your Witness partner. It is not impossible to have a successful Witness-Unbeliever relationship, but neither is it an easy thing to do. Please be sure you understand what to expect in this or any other mixed-faith relationship.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz
    I don't believe my boyfriend is 100% committed to this religion

100% doesn't matter. He sounds like he's a believer that is going through somewhat normal youth "rebellion" - if you want to call it that. Until he is sure that wts is a fraud he will have his ups and downs regarding this religion. You do not know if he will ever get over this cult or will he one day wake up and blame you for him being lead astray from the flock. Maybe you get married and he decides he needs to be "more spiritual" and will try to pull you in and tell you what a wonderful place kingdom hall is. Most will advise you not to date witnesses as they are for most part not good marriage material for outsiders. As for oral sex, not all witnesses follow the so called rules on this, but as long as elders don't know, no one asks. It's none of their business and I would bet many elders practice this without others knowing. For dating "worldly" girl he would most likely loose his privilages in his congregation, possibly elders would have a talk with him and ask him certain questions and depending on how he would answer he may have a judicial hearing where he would loose these privilages and even be disfellowshipped if some topics were brought up that the elders felt he didn't have a repentant attitude. No point of taking a risk with a ticking time bomb. Don't date wts believers.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Having oral sex while not married could get him disfellowshipped tomorrow Diamonddiiz. I think JW's are are not even good marriage mates for each other but what other choices do they have? Oh yeah, leave for a while, find someone worldly, then go back and make nice. If I had a nickle for every time.....

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Their primary doctrine is that Jesus selected the Watchtower, in 1919, to be God's sole channel of communication to mankind in our day.

Until such time as he fully understands that this doctrine is BS, he is damaged goods and is a danger to you and your children.

I know.

I was him.

Now my wife has joined the cult, my children are members of the cult, I understand that the WT couldn't possibly be selected in 1919 and I can't talk sense to any of them because they are taught by the cult that anyone who says anything that calls any doctrine into question is being used by Satan the Devil to lead them off into permanent destruction at their rapidly approaching Armageddon.

Be careful

Chris

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Nathan Natas put it excellently. Your are inviting a whole lot of hassle into your life otherwise. Even if he leaves, he could go back to it again sadly.

Cheers

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Here is the type of imagery you can expect your children to be subjected to as he tries to indoctrinate them.

These are at their official website. http://www.watchtower.org/e/bh/article_09.htm

• bigmac
    bigmac

@ herlovely world:

you said earlier

", we even got seriously intimate, we're talking oral sex here"

but this is your private life!

if your boyfriend decides to 'fess up to his elders, they could well demand he reveals intimate details of YOUR privacy. this is NOT RIGHT.

"He's a skinny, socially challenged, red-headed boy"

what girl wouldn't be swept off her feet.

• cantleave
    cantleave

If yoju think he is having doubts - get hime read Crisis of Conscience, Captives of a concepy and combatting Cult Mind control. If he isn't having doubts he won't want to have anything to with you (lucky escape!!!) and will defend his cult to hilt.

If he reads them ......... it may all go well with you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit