Do You Think It's Improper To Make Fun Of The Name "Jehovah"?

by minimus 69 Replies latest jw friends

• bohm
    bohm

Zid.: Thanks! Its one of the IMHO best parts of the movie.

I think that with religion, one should pay religion enough respect to make sure the jokes are funny and intelligent.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Personal opinion here:

It isn't only the JWs who use the name. Whether it is His name or not, isn't the point for me. I just don't use it. I say God - a very generic title and applies regardless of what people might call Him.

I don't make fuin of anyone's name so why should I do it with this one particular name. If this is His name then it has nothing at all to do with the JWs. My anger with the WTS has nothing to do with the name of God. And just because they use it doesn't mean I should make fun of it.

• xchange
    xchange

@caliber

A name is just a name. Absolutely nothing wrong with making fun or spoofing it
    It's all in "the spirit ".. is it light hearted or more often then not to mock , belittle ? It has been said "To most people their name is the most beautiful sounding word in the language !

True. It's all in the context. But I wasn't referring to names of people, rather just to deities. If I can make fun of Thor (as many do), then any other deity is open game.

@whitedove

I haven't started to evangelize just yet for Thor. Coming soon! A sample would be "If you are not pillaging your community, Thor will strike you dead with his hammer!!"

• caliber
    caliber
    With all the WT hype about the "evil apostates" it doesn't take much to scare them away.
    If they see posts mocking the name Jehovah, I fear it will confirm their worst fears and drive them away needlessly

I was 6 years old ( likely much less even ) when I was told and learned that simply doing things I wanted could hurt other people

... that it was very unkind and needless ... I think the above quote reflects nicely the concern we should have for others !!

Such" Selfish freedom" is the worst kind of selfishness .. because it is totally unnecessary .

• Open mind
    Open mind

Just don't go saying "Mufasa" without proper reverence!

(A "Lion King" reference for those unfamiliar.)

om

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I don't necessary see it as improper, as much as I see it as rude. I don't make fun of the name Jehovah to anyone. But I have said to my husband, lets get coffee somewhere else..... Tim Horton's is full of "jehovah's". Knowing that is not what they are called..... I would not say that to anyone else.

My daughter texted me the other day to say: "If you take Innsisfallen Rd, what out for the jehovah cones"

There is a KH on that road, and on meeting nights they block off one lane of a four lane street for extra parking. One KH went out of business..(or whatever you call it)..so they merged the two. So they don't have enough parking in their parking lot now. I don't know how they can legally put orange cones out and block one lane at least twice weekly for several hours.

anyway, I laughed at her text and knew exactly what she was talking about.

lisa

• Ding
    Ding

Lisa,

How does that compute with the persecution of JWs by the wicked governments of the world?

Doesn't the congregation's acceptance of that preferential treatment constitute collusion and compromise with the wicked governments of the world?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

1 Kings:25 E?li′jah now said to the prophets of Ba′al: “Choose for yourselves one young bull and dress it first, because YOU are the majority; and call upon the name of YOUR god, but YOU must not put fire to it.” 26 Accordingly they took the young bull that he gave them. Then they dressed it, and they kept calling upon the name of Ba′al from morning till noon, saying: “O Ba′al, answer us!” But there was no voice, and there was no one answering. And they kept limping around the altar that they had made. 27 And it came about at noon that E?li′jah began to mock them and say: “Call at the top of YOUR voice, for he is a god; for he must be concerned with a matter, and he has excrement and has to go to the privy. Or maybe he is asleep and ought to wake up!” 28 And they began calling at the top of their voice and cutting themselves according to their custom with daggers and with lances, until they caused blood to flow out upon them. 29 And it came about that, as soon as noon was past and they continued behaving as prophets until the going up of the grain offering, there was no voice, and there was no one answering, and there was no paying of attention.

The Jehovah's Witness Bible doesn't have a problem mocking a god that doesn't show up and do god stuff.

My Dubs used to point and laugh at the John Frum Cult.

So when, after 96 years of no show, Jehovah helps Dad find his car keys, expect some derision. It's the Dubs that trashed Jehovah, not me.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

"A salaam alaikum," pussycats!

Excellent point, Black Sheep! We mockers are following the righteous example of Elijah!

The "Political correctness" exercised by those who "respect" a dangerous mind-control cult is a slippery slope: prepare to be saying "Allah-hu akbar" pretty soon, you gentle and tolerant souls.

• caliber
    caliber

I feel the quote about Elijah was concerning a great challenge between the power of their God's... it was like a judgment period taking place.

I don't think standards were being set for everyday etiquette.

Lewis Carroll " Two kinds of laughter".. the relation of laughter to religious things

. One of the hardest things in the world is to convey a meaning accurately from one mind to another, but the sort of meaning I want to convey to other minds is that while the laughter of joy is in full harmony with our deeper life, the laughter of amusement should be kept apart from it. The danger is too great of thus learning to look at solemn things in a spirit of mockery, and to seek in them opportunities for exercising wit. That is the spirit which has spoiled, for me, the beauty of some of the Bible. Surely there is a deep meaning in our prayer, " Give us an heart to love and dread Thee." We do not mean terror: but a dread that will harmonise with love; "respect" we should call it as towards a human being, "reverence" as towards God and all religious things

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit