Is Alcohol Bad For You?

by sabastious 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

It's helpful to think of the difference between relaxation and oblivion.

Relaxation, a good massage, or kicking your shoes off and relaxing with the person you love, is so necessary. Drinking yourself into a stupor to extinguish pain is part of a self-destructive downward spiral.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I can't speak for anybody else, it is bad for ME.

It might be beneficial in moderate amounts, but since I have no use for moderate amounts my only alternative is not drinking at all.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I love love love alcohol! Two drinks is usually my limit, and I don't get drunk. A light buzz is so very happifying, IS IT NOT?!!! *loud applause*

Egg and I drink a small glass (6 oz.) of red rose' every night before bed. That much doesn't keep us awake all night.

• sabastious
    sabastious

My question was referring more to the physiological affects of alcohol, but all type of replies are welcome!

-Sab

• designs
    designs

In the quantities I use to consume is was BAD.........but now I'm better

AA............its there if you need it.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

It also kills brain cells in even small amounts and can cause alcoholic dementia in larger amounts.

Myth (or partial myth).

"46. Social drinking kills brain cells. This is an old idea in which some people thought that even one drink could kill thousands of brain cells. Alcohol can kill brain cells, but only after many years of heavy drinking. One old study involved giving alcohol daily to a dog for several weeks, then looking at damaged brain cells in the dog at autopsy. A calculation was made of the number of brain cells damaged, and this was extrapolated backwards to determine how many cells would be damaged with one drink! Obviously alcohol given over time leading to brain cell death has nothing to do with single drinks of alcoholic beverages." - http://www.utexas.edu/research/asrec/myths.html

"But are a few drinks on the weekend, or even the occasional long drinking session, enough to kill brain cells? What about binge drinking or the frequent, sustained drinking of alcoholics?

"Not so much. Even in alcoholics, alcohol use doesn't actually result in the death of brain cells. It can, however, damage the ends of neurons, which are called dendrites. This results in problems conveying messages between the neurons. The cell itself isn't damaged, but the way that it communicates with others is altered. According to researchers such as Roberta J. Pentney, professor of anatomy and cell biology at the University at Buffalo, this damage is mostly reversible. ...

"... So while alcohol doesn't actually kill brain cells, it can still damage your brain if you drink in mass quantities." - http://health.howstuffworks.com/human-body/systems/nervous-system/10-brain-myths9.htm

Cheers *clink*

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I've read newer research that says even small amounts of alcohol can damage the brain. However, good news. The effects are reversible for moderate drinkers when they stop. But not quite as reversible for heavy drinkers.

• Voices
    Voices

If you're an alcoholic...then yes. wine makes me sleepy...i guess that's probably true for a lot of people. but you know what's better than alcohol?!?!?!?!??! ...a pickle vlassic! (not classic!)

i'm trying to promote PICKLES people! ...ironically...we don't give attention much to this delicate deliciousness of savory taste. mmm pickles...you know...one pickle a day can infact ...uh...make you like ME! ...and WHO DOESN'T WANT TO BE LIKE ME?!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I've read newer research that says even small amounts of alcohol can damage the brain.

I've been trying to research this since I read this topic; could you link to that research please? I'm finding the same stuff AnnOMaly posted; I'd love to see the latest research.

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

Drawing breath kills you over time

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit