Is Alcohol Bad For You?

by sabastious 30 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious

I have heard from some credible sources that ANY alcohol consumption is technically not good for you as our digestive system is not designed for fermentation intake. I have read studies that say the same thing.

How much credence do you give the concept that any alchohol is technically NOT good for you?

-Sab

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Actually I've read that consuming moderate amounts of alcohol is actually beneficial. Of course tonight I did not consume moderate amounts so that goes right out the window.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Actually I've read that consuming moderate amounts of alcohol is actually beneficial. Of course tonight I did not consume moderate amounts so that goes right out the window.

lol

-Sab

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

Is alcohol bad for YOU?

That's the question you must answer.

Judge Dread

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

No credence whatsoever.

Studies show that people that regularly consume moderate amounts of alcohol have a higher life expetancy than tee totallers

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

That's probably because they're less stressed. However, it still doesn't mean it's good for you. It's a two edged sword. It does lower your blood pressure which is good if you have high blood pressure. Antioxidants in red wine are good for you. The problem is the alcohol itself, in any quantity is an irritant to the digestive system and the liver. It also kills brain cells in even small amounts and can cause alcoholic dementia in larger amounts.

I mean, you could live longer but if you have alcoholic dementia, or even less brain cells, can you really say that's a good thing?

• I quit!
    I quit!

If your a Witness it should be considered a necessary part of your Watchtower survival kit. I recommend two belts before every meeting and two after.

As for those no longer associated with the Watchtower I would say unless you have a specific health problem that is effected by alcohol drinking is moderation is believed to be good for you.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I've read that one glass of wine a day is beneficial but alas wine gives me a headache. I've heard that a limited amount of hard spirits is also benefical but I don't like the taste unless the spirits are in mixed drinks and even then I'll nursed that drink all night. As you might guess, I'm not much of a drinker.

• carla
    carla

Here's a link from recent study/article in 'Time' drinkers live longer - http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2014332,00.html

• yknot
    yknot

Like all things...... moderation is key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3zkkLckeyM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit