Did the WT return to "old light" regarding the "overlapping" concept? Wt 9-1-52

by AndersonsInfo 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cantleave
    cantleave

That Website is nausiating!

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The proclamation that those who witnessed the events of 1914, was just one of the many other proclamations

that were established as a marketing farce to stimulate circulation of the WTS publishings and to cull followers.

1975 and 6000 years of man's existence was another one that comes to mind.

The 1925 proclamation that many now living will never die, was another.

All of these were supposedly divinely interpreted from the bible.

In reality, divinely inspired bullshit to grab people's attention.

• undercover
    undercover

Some earlier WT quotes that backs up what I was thinking that the 52 article actually being a waffling on the length of a "generation".

"By keeping the people ignorant they led them into having Jesus killed on a torture stake at Calvary. Thirty-seven years later this willfully cultivated ignorance led to its fatal consequences, the destruction of the city of Jerusalem with an enormous loss of human lives, just as Jesus had predicted, and the breaking up of the Jewish nation till this day. And now in this "time of the end" the revived nation of Israel with capital at the modern city of Jerusalem chooses to go on in the steps of its forefathers . . ." Watchtower 1950 September 1 p.277

"The length of time is indicated by him when he said, "Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur." (Matt. 24:34) The actual meaning of these words is, beyond question, that which takes a "generation" in the ordinary sense, as at Mark 8:12 and Acts 13:36, or for those who are living at the given period." Watchtower 1951 July 1 p.404

"Counting from the end of the "appointed times of the nations" in 1914, we are 37 years into the "time of the end" of this world. (Luke 21:24, Dan. 12:4) During these crucial years Jehovah's witnesses have sought shelter and strength in him, and they can confess for themselves that he is a "well-proved help in trouble". If it were not for this, they would not be here today nor increasing in numbers. But we are entering the most serious and trialsome years of this "time of the end". The final conflict of Armageddon draws near." Watchtower 1951 February 15 p.179

You can see the sense of urgency in these quotes as 37 years had already passed so the end had to be near but then in 1952 we get the QFR article as Barbara posted which now indicates that the Armageddon, while still happening during the lifetime of those alive in 1914, didn't necessarily mean that it would happen in the strictest definition of "genertaion", some 30 years...

They were able to buy quite a bit of time with that new definition of generation. It wasn't until the mid 90s that it became apparent that the generation of 1914 wasn't going to see Armageddon.

(Thanks to JWfacts.com for the quotes)

• undercover
    undercover
    Some persons living A.D. 1914 when the series of foretold events began will also be living when the series ends with Armageddon.
    I take it that the witnesses no longer believe this quote - taken from that 1952 article?

Let's let the WTS answer that, shall we?

"Eager to see the end of this evil system, Jehovah's people have at times speculated about the time when the "great tribulation" would break out, even tying this to calculations of what is the lifetime of a generation since 1914. However, we "bring a heart of wisdom in," not by speculating about how many years or days make up a generation, but by thinking about how we "count our days" in bringing joyful praise to Jehovah. (Psalm 90:12) Rather than provide a rule for measuring time, the term "generation" as used by Jesus refers principally to contemporary people of a certain historical period, with their identifying characteristics. In line with the above, professor of history Robert Wohl wrote in his book The Generation of 1914: "A historical generation is not defined by its chronological limits . . . It is not a zone of dates."?Therefore, in the final fulfillment of Jesus' prophecy today, "this generation" apparently refers to the peoples of earth who see the sign of Christ's presence but fail to mend their ways?Is anything to be gained, then, by looking for dates or by speculating about the literal lifetime of a "generation"?... Does our more precise viewpoint on "this generation" mean that Armageddon is further away than we had thought? Not at all! Though we at no time have known the "day and hour," Jehovah God has always known it, and he does not change. (Malachi 3:6) Obviously, the world is sinking further and further toward terminal ruination. The need to keep awake is more critical than it has ever been. Jehovah has revealed to us "the things that must shortly take place," and we should respond with an absorbing sense of urgency." Watchtower 1995 November 1 p.20

"In the final fulfillment of Jesus' prophecy at Matthew 24:34-39, to what does the expression "this generation" refer? Jesus apparently refers to the peoples on earth who see the sign of Christ's presence but fail to mend their ways." Watchtower 1995 December 15 p.30

That's the 1995 change. It's changed a couple more times. Now they're on to the overlapping generation teaching... where people alive at the same time as people who saw 1914 would see Armageddon...which means that my grandfather won't see Armageddon but either I or my siblings should...

• JWoods
    JWoods

So, Undercover - you agree with me that NO - this new generation teaching is not OLD LIGHT per se - but it is just the latest in a constant history of revisions to cover the fact that nothing happened in 1914, and nothing happened for years after?

Certainly, nobody in the WTBTS today would be caught dead proclaiming that quotation that some people alive in 1914 would see Armageddon, right?

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

The members of the GB are masters in deception. I keep thinking their false promises will catch up to them, only to receive "new light" to buy more time for their promises that the end is right around the corner.

• undercover
    undercover
    ...this new generation teaching is not OLD LIGHT per se - but it is just the latest in a constant history of revisions to cover the fact that nothing happened in 1914, and nothing happened for years after?

Yes, I agree with that assesment. My first post alluded to that, though in a much longer winded way...

• Wrong Way
    Wrong Way

It is really interesting to study those "old lights" sometimes.

BTW, there is no mention of JWs in Wikipedia article "Old and New Light". Why?

• wasblind
    wasblind

JWoods said: "Certainly, nobody in the WTBTS today would be caught dead proclaiming that quotation that some people alive in 1914 would see Armageddon, right?

Got news for you JWoods,

Read page 234 in the Reasoning from the Scriptures book, under the heading of Last Days, where it reads:

"The present wicked system of things, which extends worldwide, entered it's last days in 1914, and some of the generation alive then will also be on hand to witness its complete end in the " great tribulation. "

to my understanding they still use this book.

• wasblind
    wasblind

I think the bumble headed idiots should have at least stop using these books before the DC started this summer. Ya think ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit