by alice.in.wonderland 62 Replies latest watchtower bible

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Your cut and paste was a lot of smoke.

HB

• Ultimate Reality
    Ultimate Reality

Alice:

The 96 CE dating for Revelation originates with Christendom and is largely based on a vague statement by '2nd century Church Father' Irenaeus:

"We will not, however, incur the risk of pronouncing positively as to the name of Antichrist; for if it were necessary that his name should be distinctly revealed in this present time, it would have been announced by him who beheld the apocalyptic vision. For that was seen no very long time since, but almost in our day, towards the end of Domitian's reign. But he indicates the number of the name now, that when this man comes we may avoid him, being aware who he is: the name, however, is suppressed, because it is not worthy of being proclaimed by the Holy Spirit. For if it had been declared by Him, he (Antichrist) might perhaps continue for a long period." - Irenaeus, Against Heresies, Book 5, Chp. 30

What was seen towards the end of Domitian's reign is not exactly clear. What you see above is the 'evidence' used to support a 96 CE dating. It is interesting to note that Irenaeus also claimed that Jesus lived to 50 years of age (Irenaeus, Against Heresies, 2:22:4-6).

A far more compelling and scholarly dating for Revelation is PRE-70 CE. This dating is also in harmony with the internal scriptural evidence.

I suggest James Stewart Russell's Parousia book from 1878 and Before Jerusalem Fell by Kenneth Gentry for additional reading.

• Sola Scriptura
    Sola Scriptura

To Ultimate Reality:

Your 163 post is argued very well. Thanks!
    Book Marking for future reference...
    sincerely
    Sola Scriptura
    ---
    ‘Is it not an exaggeration to say that all of
    us are in danger of being deceived with regard
    to our religious beliefs?’
    -THE WATCHTOWER ? SEPTEMBER 1, 2010 page 11

• Mary
    Mary
    AIW said: It's the...

Just as I thought.....you haven't gone back to the meetings and probably have no intention of ever doing so again. You're just a sad and pathetic troll who's so starved for attention, that you have to come on here to get some, even if it's negative.

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

"Just as I thought.....you haven't gone back to the meetings and probably have no intention of ever doing so again. You're just a sad and pathetic troll who's so starved for attention, that you have to come on here to get some, even if it's negative."

Actually, I'm on vacation for two weeks. I don't need any negative attention that's why I didn't respond to you the first time.

• laverite
    laverite

Alice,

It takes a lot of cognitive acrobatics to arrive at the current Watchtower understanding of the word generation. It seems an awfully big stretch as an attempt to account for why the Big A hasn't hit yet. The society will surely be updating the current understanding of "generation" when they eventually have to.

Are there things (doctrine, prophecy, policy) from the Watchtower that you don't agree with? There have to be at least some policy disagreements. After all, if you are a current witness (don't know if you are or aren't), you aren't supposed to be here, period.

Maybe it's just me, but you seem to be a less abrasive version of your previous self? :)

Best,

~LV

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

In "the generation" at Matthew 24, Jesus is speaking to the people around him and he is speaking about them.

People twist his words because the reality does not fit their prejudices. He does say "this generation"; he does not say "that generation". Read every other time the Matthew gospel uses the word "generation". Does anyone need the list?

Doug

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Alice -

Even oif you are on vacation for two weeks, current light is that you should attend the meetings where you are staying, and share in FS.

DISOBEDIENT ONE< UNWILLING TO OBEY>

HB

• Essan
    Essan

Alice, why are you choosing to represent yourself as the "Whore of Babylon"?

I'm not saying you are wrong to do so, in fact, seeing as you routinely defend a notorious "False Prophet", the Society, then using the 'Whore of Babylon to identify yourself appears entirely appropriate. I'm just surprised you are so open and "brazen" about it.

(You can be DF'd for "Brazen conduct" now, I hear)

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

Welcome home Alice...... Don't let everyone confuse you. I see the direction you have taken and again... CONGRATULATIONS!!

I know the Whore of Babylon and she is quite the party girl...

apart from your taste in ..... MUSIC... Satan will love you. Ha ha ha I'm on Vacation too..............

for eternity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit