What would it take for you to stop being a Jehovah's Witness?

by new light 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cult classic
    cult classic

The questions asked are good ones. But I agree with the other posters. It's not about the questions it's about their responsesto the questions.

What helps a Jehovah's Witness stop being one is the thing they are least likely to do. Give themselves permission to step away long enough to think and feel for themselves.

• will_the_apostate
    will_the_apostate

for every one person who actually listens to you, ten will ignore you or call you an apostate. but i feel those are still good numbers

• garyneal
    garyneal

Marking.

• Hadit
    Hadit

Great question Will.

Cult Classic - you nailed it on the head. I saw all the discrepances and felt them but it wasn't until I gave myself permission to go beyond and actually think and research for myself that I got to where I am now. It sounds like a little step but boy it took courage as I had such fear that God was going to strike me down. The mind control that we were under is huge. I guess we have to remember that when we get discouraged by others not listening. They need to battle with fear and do something that is considered Satanic "independent thinking." They are already wary of us and scared to trust anything we say and now we are asking them to listen to us and go against everything they have been programmed against. It's difficult but certainly not impossible as we are proof that it can be done.

Unconditional love is a big help too.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

On its face, the question seems reasonable and rational.

I used to rationalize to myself why I would never "leave the Truth"

My number one reason was the name Jehovah. Nobody else uses it (not true) In reality, it was my personal belief that I was part of the group worshiping the one true God, and that he did have an organization. Once I personally shattered this notion, I was on my way out. It was my own curiosity, and dissatisfaction with my witness life that led to the examination.

My number two reason was "the friends" (I hadn't had bad experiences like many others on the board) Once I woke up and demanded answers to questions I had about doctrine, I was DF'd in short order and my "friends" disappeared of course. Then I finally realized they really were not my friends, but were simply people who knew my acquaintance and believed the same things as I.

The reality of it is that unless people have a good reason to question "Jehovah" or their "friends" they cannot rationally examine anything you say to them. Many leave for doctrine (jehovah) and many leave because of mistreatment (friends) But you cant force them, I would say its 99% on them to figure it out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit