What would it take for you to stop being a Jehovah's Witness?

by new light 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• new light
    new light

I would like to present this question to my believing family, one by one. It seems to me to be a powerful thought

provoker. Also, I think those of us that have done some research know how many wonderful flip-flops, coverups,

scandals, and lies there are to be shared once a person is willing to hear them. It seems to me that if their

answer is anything short of "nothing could stop me", then we have the horrifying facts in all sorts of flavors to

shake them into reality. What other power questions have you all heard or come up with?

• will_the_apostate
    will_the_apostate

the question that got me out was "are you willing to examine your religion for faults as thoroughly as you ask people in your ministry to examine theirs?"

• new light
    new light

That is a good one, indeed.

• new light
    new light

Actually, Will, that qustion is far better than mine because it does not presuppose leaving, only honest examination. Thank you.

• will_the_apostate
    will_the_apostate

its great because you can actually get people to examine 'the truth' thinking they are going to prove you wrong... but little do they know

• compound complex
    compound complex

There is nothing wrong whatsoever with the opening premise, new light.

However, given the human factors of emotion, investment, commitment and loyalty, our presentation of irrefutable facts is invariably deemed (by the true believer) a crazed attack on all that is sacred. I speak, of course, of our endeavor to reveal the truth about "the Truth" to loved ones in the organization.

I should have been locked in a closet, as the Witness saying goes, for six months.

Doing damage control now. Not to say we shouldn't try, though.

Thanks for a good topic.

CoCo

edited to add: sorry this isn't exactly an answer to your question. I digressed ...

• peacedog
    peacedog

Good question. Thinking of my jw family, I honestly don't think there's a single thing.

False prophecy? Nope. Attributing their false prophecy to God? Nope. Reissuing publications with their failed predictions removed? Nope. Doctrinal changes? Nope. New lightâ„¢ that is actually Old Light? Nope. Outright lies printed in the publications? Nope. Requiring death rather than accepting a blood transfusion despite the fact that the bible only mentions *eating* blood? Nope.

The wts is a CULT and jws are BRAINWASHED. Really, the Society can do and require anything, and the dubbies are gonna eat it up and ask for more.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Will, that simple question is perfect. I am going to think on that one and see if I can use it with some actives.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I am trying to think what would work with my own :....Trouble is that they agree of most of what is said against it but fail to see that it is just wrong.

E g . "Makes false predictions, then backtracks and changes it willy nilly " - They know that

"Had a President who, despite a vow of poverty, lived in a mansion in California and drove big cars " - They know that

"Appoint Numpties as Elders and then falsely claim it is by Holy Spirit" - They keep telling me that

Perhaps they just lack the courage to admit that they were wrong when they picked their religion

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    It seems to me to be a powerful thought provoker.

Proceed with caution. Been there, done that.

It will provoke them to ask WHY you're asking such a question. The subtle insinuation will be that they think you're an apostate or sympathetic to apostate ideas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit