3 Things You Should Know About Islam

by onemore 121 Replies latest jw friends

• Quillsky
    Quillsky
    You are woefully misinformed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khula

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I am well aware of what the "official" statements on such things are.

What is done in "practice", is quite different.

If you research the history of the country of Egypt, you will see that Islam has not been a beneficial influence there.

The peaceful, loving society that Islam says it wants....has never existed.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

And ditto Christianity.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I'm not saying Christianity is perfect or has been perfect.

I'm just saying that the laws of a 7th century desert-dwelling, tribal society don't translate well to the modern world.

If you are a man, perhaps you don't understand why I as a woman would fear a religion that would allow my husband to have me stoned, so that he could marry a 14 year old.

And yes, I am aware that the men have their own issues to deal with. The only power they have is that which they can wield in their own home. And wield it, they do.

I'm flabbergasted that Islam's mistreatment of women is even up for debate.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

The laws of Christianity are those of first century tribal desert-dwellers too...... built on the social requirements of the twelve tribes of desert-dwelling Israel in the centuries preceeding Christ, and followed by the subsequent desert-dwellers of Mohammed's time and beyond.

Islam is based on Christianity which is in turn based on Judaism. It's really only the far eastern religions and earth-based religions which are out of this crazy loop.

I'm a woman, Palm, and I'm completely with you on mistreatment of women in society. But I don't think your husband is about to have you stoned so that he can marry a 14-year-old. Not in the forseeable future anyway!

These issues are not about Islam. In fact, Christian cultures clashing with Islamic cultures could be a brilliant thing to happen to civilization right now.

The issues are about humans' treatment of other humans. I hope I've somewhat helped someone, somewhere, to see that.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    These issues are not about Islam. They are about humans' treatment of other humans.

I am absolutely in agreement with you there.

I am certainly not advocating intolerance of Islam, only education of it. But the discussion was with regard to this particular religion and not to Christianity, so I chose to discuss only the issues with Islam. For the record, I have read everything I could about it for the last 20 years. The case study of Egypt was something I read 20 years ago and was eye-opening to me. Egyptian women fought hard for their rights there in the '20's and '30's and won many of them. Something has gone wrong there. You can research it for yourself and decide.

The information on Egypt led me to research the march of Islam through many countries. They have never entered countries as missionaries, only as conquerers.

I do think it is a mistake to view it as only a religion. It is much more than that.

I appreciate your thoughts on this, Quill. I don't discuss this kind of thing, normally.

I'm going to bed now, but will check this thread tomorrow. Sleep well, Quill.

• allelsefails
    allelsefails

For me the difference between Islam and Christianity comes down to the New Testament and Quoran. The Christian instruction in the Bible never allows for religious warfare or violence. And as much as Paul might have been repressive of women ("staying silent in the congregation") he never felt someone should be beaten or killed for their indiscretions. At most he suggested the "disfellowshipping" of a sexual deviant who would not correct his actions.

"Christians" have, on the other hand, used their faith to justify all types of horrible behavior - from slavery to crusades, but their HOLY book does not condone or suggest it. Jihad and violence ARE a part of the Quoran. Remember the later more violent Quoran is considered authoritative not the earlier peaceful commentary.

Most Muslims in western nations are probably pleasent, kind, loving people (that is why they left their oppressive, evil countries where MOST of their 1.2 billion brothers reside.)

Religion of all types have led to horrible results, but at least Christians are embarrassed by their violent history NOT proud of it.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

From the book "Nine Parts of Desire - The Hidden World of Islamic Women" by Geraldine Brooks.

Re: The march of Islam through various countries.

"The urgent and relevant task is to examine the way the faith has proved such fertile ground for almost every anti-woman custom it encountered on its great march out of Arabia. When it found veils and seclusion in Persia, it absorbed them; when it found genital mutilations in Egypt, it absorbed them; when it found societies in which women had never had a voice in public affairs, its own traditions of lively women's participation withered."

I found the book to be an interesting commentary on how a religion changes over time.

Highly recommed this book. Geraldine Brooks actually learned Arabic in order to read the Koran. She lived and worked among the women and I felt she gave a very true view of the culture.

Edit: Good points, allelsefails. Thank you.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    In fact, Christian cultures clashing with Islamic cultures could be a brilliant thing to happen to civilization right now.

I think you edited to add this.

This statement is frightening. If these cultures clash, it can only mean war.

And the Islamics, like the Japanese kamikaze pilots, are not afraid to die. Christians are afraid to die.

That is a very big difference.

Islam is based on Christianity which is in turn based on Judaism

This is completely false. Sorry, but it is.

• Piercingtheveil81
    Piercingtheveil81

Quillsky, I'd like to thank you for some of your comments and shared information about this subject.

I'm am an Ex-JW who converted to Islam a year and a half ago. I have to say that while some things are true there is quite a bit that is untrue. I certainly don't deny some horrible things have happened to muslim women at the hands of other muslims, but it certainly isn't based upon Shari'a Law. The problem is that many many Muslims are very ignorant concerning it and its application.

What many people seem to ignore is that the Prophet, peace be upon him, actually greatly improved women's status in comparison to pre-Islamic times. He united the arab tribes and ended ignorant tribalism, stopped unjust interest and extortion among other things.

Maybe someday I'll share my story of how I came to Islam if I could just get the time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit