Did the WT totally "luck out" with World War I starting in 1914?

by lepermessiah 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

But Europe had been going through tumultous times for decades which culminated in The Great War.

What JWs hate to admit is that since the Peace of Westphalia ended the religious wars and codified the concept of the nation-state, Europe almost seemed to have more times of war than of peace from 1648 to 1914. In fact, they are now in what many are terming a Pax Europea.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Tee hee hee.

Was just reading this here morning of the Second Defenestration of Prague which led to the Thirty Years' War, which led to the Treaty of Westphalia, which in effect broke the power of the Roman Catholic Church's ability to appoint emperors.

It's all one unbroken chain of events.

Syl

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Treaty of Westphalia, which in effect broke the power of the Roman Catholic Church's ability to appoint emperors.

It's all one unbroken chain of events.

YES Snowbird! And now, take THAT information and apply it to the many comments the society makes about how we are in a time of unprecented warfare! Really? If this is soooo bad, just when would they have like to have lived?!

• snowbird
    snowbird

I love history!

It was my major when I was in college, and I excelled in it.

Some of the WT's comments used to make me squirm, but I kept silent because no one else seemed to notice.

It was so very hard to do.

Syl

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/failed-1914-predictions.php

One of the most misleading statements in Watchtower publications is that they accurately foretold 1914 to be the "start" of the conclusion of this system of things. In reality, 1914 had consistently been predicted to be the "end" of the system of things. ...................

This is a good article on how the WTS did not accurately predict what would happen in 1914 and started adjusting their predictions for 1915.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Time is nature's way of keeping everything from not happening all at once.

If you read the WATCHTOWER literature from that era, you will discover that 1914 was supposed to be the END, not "the beginning."

Cult leaders are always able to spin reality to suit their needs. Most people are afraid to look into the face of reality, so they let others look at it for them and tell them what they see. Such people are fools.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

I recommend the book "Sign of the Last Days" by Carl Oloff Johnson. He completely debunks the mystery of wars, pestilences and famines. Once you get away from all the Watchtower BS, 1914 really isn't that special. There were worse wars than WW1 that occured prior to 1914. He firmly establishes this in his book. There were even world wars prior to WW1. He examines that facts on why it's called WW1. Very interesting!

-mentallyfree31-

• Beta Male
    Beta Male

i just checked amazon for a copy of that book. 119 used or new one for 400 bucks. is that normal?

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

Even a broken clock is right twice a day

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Beta Male - If you are referring to Sign of the Last Days - NO, you should be able to find it for less than 10 bucks. It was written in the mid 1980's.

-MF31-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit