Did Jesus Ever Speak of writings Outside the Bible?

by ClassickConcept 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ClassickConcept
    ClassickConcept

Im asking

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Everything he quoted was outside the bible since the bible didn't exist at the time.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I believe he/she means other than what are now known as the Hebrew Scriptures.

This may help.

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=30920

Sylvia

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Great link, Snowbird - thanks for that!

• snowbird
  • wobble
    wobble

Jesus also quoted, or paraphrased, the words of previous Rabbis, using the introduction "you have heard it said ..." he usually added to the words, or improved upon them, i.e his rewording of Rabbi Hillel's Golden Rule to "Do unto others......"

This does not mean he concurred with all that particular Rabbi taught, and the same could be said for his leaning on what are now considered deutero-canonical books, the fact that he used some of the thoughts is not a complete argument to include them in the cannon.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Jesus spoke in a way that the people of his time could understand and relate to so, yes, he quoted from the OT and as wobble mentioned above, from known teachers too.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Wobble, what would the complete argument to include them in the cannon be?See full size image!

The Golden Rule wasn't Rabbi Hillel's anyway. The first mention of the golden rule is in Leviticus...I'll see if I can get the quote...Leviticus 19:34?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Rule

• snowbird
    snowbird
    "You heard that it was said ..."
    "But, I say to you ..."

I used to wonder how could a mere angel - albeit archangel - make such sweeping and assertive statements!

Sylvia

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Leviticus 19:18

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit