A few questions about Adam and Eve, Death, and the Resurrection

by alfmel 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• alfmel
    alfmel

Rufus, your post made perfect sense. I really enjoyed it. It explains Christianity in a very concise, logical way. However, I don't know how much that aligns with the JW view of this life, or better put, with my interpretation of the JW view. It seems every time the JWs come to my door, they tell me how miserable and lotheful this world is. I agree with your view. Yes, it's bad, but it's all for the ultimate glory of God. I choose to rejoice in my existence and my knowledge of God and the grace of Jesus. But, it seems the JWs in my neighborhood just whine and complain about the stupidity of Eve and how she screwed us all up. Is it just me that thinks JWs put too much blame on Eve? I read the story in Genesis, find Adam blaming Eve, Eve blames the serpent (Satan), and the JWs continue the blaming and curse Eve.

• alfmel
    alfmel

EndofMysteries, I have found my answers. My reason for being here is trying to understand what the JWs believe to be the answers. When they come to my door, most of them are rude to me and intollerant towards my beliefs. I would like to understand their doctrine enough to know where they are coming from, know where we have common ground, and hope to engage in constructive dialog about each others' belief. Yes, I know, that's a lofty goal. I've been able to do it with one JW, and both of us have been enlightened. But there are still too many things I don't understand about their doctrine, and that's why I'm here.

• Rufus
    Rufus

Alfmel,

Yes, I am coming from a decidedly Christian perspective. I am not, nor have I ever been, a Jehovah's Witness. I'm sorry to have jumped-in if you were looking specifically for a WatchTower response.

Do the Witnesses place the blame for sin more on Eve? If so, that seems a bit misogynistic. The New Testament fixes the blame on both of our original parents (1 Tim 2:14; Rom 5:12). Yet the proverbial buck seems to stop with Adam (c1 Cor 15:22). He was given headship (cf. 1 Cor 11:3), and it was his failure as the head of Eve to safeguard her in Eden. Had Adam been fulfilling his God-given duties, the serpent might not have been successful.

In Him,

Rufus

• grewupjw1969
    grewupjw1969

frigginconfused...I loved your post. Really interesting to think of it that way.

Grewupjw

• alfmel
    alfmel

Rufus:

Do the Witnesses place the blame for sin more on Eve? If so, that seems a bit misogynistic. The New Testament fixes the blame on both of our original parents

I don't think it's misogynistic. They blame Eve because she was the first to partake. As you mention, Adam is also guilty. But I often hear from the JWs that if Adam and Eve had not partaken of the fruit, we wouldn't be in this mess. In other words, we could all live in a paradise right now.

So here is another doctrinal question: if Adam and Eve had not partaken of the fruit, but 500 years later, one of the now 200,000 inhabitants of the Garden would have partaken of it, what would have happened to the 1 ate and to the other 199,999?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Their primary doctrine is that Jesus selected them in 1919 to be God's sole channel of comminication to mankind in our day.

As long as they believe that, they really don't care if a doctrine flys in the face of reason or contradicts the bible. It really is the only doctrine that is worth discussing. If it is true, you should blindly follow whatever comes out of Crooklyn, no matter how little sense it makes because if you don't Watchtower God is gonna kill you. That is why you can spend hours demonstrating to a JW that the Bible doesn't support his beliefs and he just goes straight back to the Kingdum Hall and thanks Jeebooboo for his spiritual food.

As for Adam and Eve?... Their perfect God invents sex for millions of species of animals to procreate and then forgets to make someone for Adam to bonk? ... and we're supposed to believe that?....and everything that follows it?

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit