generation teaching reconsidered

by inbetween 55 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    PSacramento, the only problem with it being the generation of A.D. 70 because the fulfillment of Matthew 24:29-31 did not take place.

Symbolisim dude, just that.

Or Jesus was wrong or he meant something different than what was understood.

Of course the fall of Jerusalem is the "easiest" way to look at this prophecy, IF it was indeed intented to be one.

That doesn't mean it is the correct view, just A view.

We are assuming that Matthew 24:29-31 is a DIRECT continuation and that may not be the case.

We are just speculating one way or another.

What we do KNOW is that, the generation that Jesus spoke about, "THIS GENERATION" did indeed go through a huge event and that event was the destruction of Jerusalem.

Added to that we can also inculde the persecuation of the early christians.

• sacolton
    sacolton

I guess that's what it comes down to ... what is literal and what is symbolic. Noone really knows. Do I believe the sun will be darknened? It's possible. Could the moon not give its light? It's possible. Could stars "fall" from the sky? It's hard to imagine. Could Heavenly bodies be "shaken"? I'm not sure what this is implying ... the planets shaking? I don't know. What is literal and what is symbolic?

• logic
    logic

One generation overlapping another generation would be reduntant. Using their logic would make the

word generation (singular) meaningless. Jesus did not say generations. It would be the same

as saying that each individual race of people for thousands of years would be one generation . There

is no word definition for that, unless you use the societies dictionary.

If the jws buy into this then the society knows that they can tell them anything.

Even trying to dispell this crap is confusing.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I guess that's what it comes down to ... what is literal and what is symbolic. Noone really knows. Do I believe the sun will be darknened? It's possible. Could the moon not give its light? It's possible. Could stars "fall" from the sky? It's hard to imagine. Could Heavenly bodies be "shaken"? I'm not sure what this is implying ... the planets shaking? I don't know. What is literal and what is symbolic?

Exactly, of course Jesus could have been talking about two different events also, though gramatically that doesn't SEEM the case ( which doesn't mean it wasn't the case).

• minimus
    minimus

If I were to say, "In my generation we used to drive very large gas guzzling cars", that would go to a certain point, perhaps the 80s but clearly not after that.

Someone younger than me, let's sat a 17 year old, could not accurately say, "In MY generation we used to drive very large gas guzzling cars"----just because he knew me.

The whole new generation concept is flawed....now that I've "reconsidered".

• sacolton
    sacolton

I suppose the Watchtower should change their definition of what a year is. Should a year OVERLAP a new year? Does 2009 overlap 2010? If so, should the new year be known as 2009/2010 ... and for how long? It boggles the mind.

• minimus
    minimus

What is "is"???

• sacolton
    sacolton

It is what it is.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Exactly, of course Jesus could have been talking about two different events also, though gramatically that doesn't SEEM the case ( which doesn't mean it wasn't the case).

I believe He was speaking of two different events.

Let's keep in mind that Jesus of Nazareth is Hebrew and Jewish; they are renowned for using conflates.

Sylvia

• minimus
    minimus

conflate---as the colors blend well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit