Are the JWs a dangerous cult?

by cyberjesus 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• designs
    designs

Rufus

Its a very simple doctrine and metaphysical explanation of the diety, studied it for years, years, with a Jesuit. My comment was on the effect the followers of this dogma have had on civilization.

Cults, which the followers of this particular dogma are members of, are similar in ways and unique to their own particular set of rules. The Watchtower's set of rules and beliefs produces certain behaviors, so does Western Christianity in its various forms and denominations, only worse.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

I think they are. Others have a narrower definition of "cult" and say "No, they're something else but not a cult". That's merely a matter of the definition--not what we're seeing.

I won't use the "C word" when talking to a witness. Doing that triggers the trained reaction: the mind and ears switch off, the mouth lauches the pre-programmed responses, and I might as well be talking to a stone wall. Speaking that bluntly does no good, and often does harm.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I think there is always a danger in supposing there is some sort of absolute philosophical or theological truth that applies blanketly to all people everywhere on earth.

There are a few fundamental things that most human cultures agree on as far as what is right and wrong, but even those are usually softened by consideration of circumstance, motive and emotional state. There are even degrees of guilt in the crime murder for instance in most more enlightened cultures, and different sentences given accordingly.

Absolutism assumes that all humans everywhere need exactly the same things, have the same situation and feel the same about everything.

That's simply not true, and probably why there will never be a world wide religion or philosophy that suits everyone. The Witnesses are only able to achieve the appearance of "universal brotherhood", by which they mean uniformity of teaching and thought, by very strict control of thought and imput, and even then, it's mere appearance.

That's not really equivalent to satisfying everyone's individual needs in that way, it's just cramming everyone into the same mold regardless of how painful a fit it is. One size fits all pantyhose are a joke too, LOL...There's no such thing as ANYTHING that fits everyone on the planet!

• not a captive
    not a captive

Absolutism assumes that all humans everywhere need exactly the same things, have the same situation and feel the same about everything.

That's simply not true, and probably why there will never be a world wide religion or philosophy that suits everyone. The Witnesses are only able to achieve the appearance of "universal brotherhood", by which they mean uniformity of teaching and thought, by very strict control of thought and imput, and even then, it's mere appearance.

Thank you. May I piggy back off that thought to isay that the idea of Orthodoxy that Rufus drops on this idea of the JW cult is also misguided? Since it seems clear (correct me someone) that for approximately 15 years after Jesus died the early Christians didn't have a council to establish the intricate doctrines that let us know who to burn at the stake and who to elect pope. Therefore the council that convened in Nicea @ 325 C.E. had nothing good to say to Christians. Not then, not now.

Absolutism is religion. Religion is absolutism.

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Any edict that is determined by committee, an "official" committee, Is worthless.

Any time Christians get "cornered-up" (as they say around the Ozarks) and told that to be "orthodox" they have to believe so-and-soit is wrong.

Rufus may be on the right track in some ways but he is all wrong about that Trinity stuff.

Most folks that buy into the Trinity have no trouble at all shooting the shit out of each other under orders from what-ever-government tells them to do so. Think about it. So that ain't universal brotherhood neither.

If God is a God worth his salt he is a lot more wild and open than "governing bodies" and Councils of ???? suggest. It isn't that God doesn't have standards , but he is not stupid.

Religious absolutism is anti-God.

Maeve

• not a captive
    not a captive

P.S. Of course the JWs are a dangerous cult. If your life is in danger of being lost by arsenic, plastic explosives or the insidious destruction of the Organization it is in danger. The JWs rob us of our individual conscience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit