Since JWs won't go to apostate boards, but they will read the newspaper...

by JimmyPage 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Scott77
    Scott77

Hi All,

This is what I have just emailed today. It’s an Opinioned Article. To preserve the paper’s integrity, Editors always cross check submitted articles for their originality through an online tool. Therefore, I have taken great steps to avoid copying every word from Jimmypage’s posting but, taking care to highlight the main points or essential messages. Not sure when it will be published. This paper's online version can be accessed at Courant.com.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Readers, Be Aware of Cult Signs.

By Scott Goldstein

Presently, there is a low level of public awareness about dangers presented by cult groups. The social and political problems caused by cults in societies are widespread due to lack of public education about the subject. To many residents in Connecticut State, it’s like a kind hot button issue that attracts a few media coverage unless, something like death or attempted suicide has happened. The recent arrest of Pakistani-born U.S. citizen Faisal Shahzad not withstanding, this is dangerous because high mind control groups regardless of religious affiliation, can draw in unsuspecting locals who are otherwise, reasonable and intelligent people.

What is worrisome is that no individuals within the cult realize that they are in. Ironically, they may recognize the signs of a cult in other groups but not in their own. Using (BITE), Behavior, Information, Thought, and Emotional control method, Steve Hassan, an ex-Moonie, highlights these signs in interest of the public awareness.

Behavior control often includes approved associates an individual is permitted to interact with, what clothes and hairstyles are acceptable. To foster a spirit of cohesiveness, individuality is discouraged in favor of "group think". A significant amount of time is expended to the group's activities.

Information control forbids cult members from speaking or socializing with ex-members. It’s not uncommon to view outside information with suspicion, since non- members are viewed as outcast, being outside the group’s beliefs in ‘God’ through cult leaders and being under the influence of Satan or imaginable enemies.

To control the recruit’s mind, adherents are strong bared from questioning the decisions of the group's leaders or doctrines. As if that is not enough, alternative belief systems are viewed as illegitimate or useful. They are looked down with disdain.

To instill guilt and unjustified fear, and thus motivate members to stay in, cults utilize emotional control with efficiency. The fear of exiting the cult group tops the list. No wonder, members develop irrational phobias and their minds dread and regard the uncertainties of a world as devoid of blissfulness and life’s enjoyment.

To destroy the families on which social fabric of societies are founded, relatives who leave cults are viewed as ‘weak’ or ‘unspiritual’ and shunned. Cult rules are enthusiastically enforced to the letter. This explains why cult members may risk law enforcement arrest by stalking former member’s lives whenever they move from place to place. Regardless of the reason given for abandoning the cult group, it’s regarded as illegitimate. Thus, this effectively seals the fate of members in the group and eliminates or lessens options to escape from their grip.

However, it’s not too late to be on guard. There is light at the end of the tunnel for those still strapped within high mind control groups. Since public education is a powerful tool against ignorance, I hope readers will always remember “BITE” tactics used by cult as a recruitment tool and do their best to avoid them.

Scott Goldstein is an avid, regular reader of Hartford Courant.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

JimmyPage and Scott77, you have PMs.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Great MS,

Just replied back a while ago. Iam keeping watch for the opinion article in the paper. Today is day one. If published, I will let members know on this site possibly with a link.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Below is an email I got from the paper after sending my Op-ed Article. I hope it helps those planning to send their own.

Dear op-ed writer:

Thank you for contacting The Courant. We receive dozens of op-ed submissions every week and regret that we cannot respond individually to each one. This letter is to reassure that we got your op-ed and that we do read every op-ed we receive.

If you do not hear back from us in two weeks, that means we were not able to use your op-ed.

Here are two frequently asked questions about op-eds.

Do you have guidelines for op-eds?
    1. Get right into the subject. Make your position clear from the beginning.
    2. Keep your sentences short, and don't try to make too many arguments in one article.
    3. Be sure that all names are correct and all quotations are accurate.
    4. Be sure to end your article with a forceful conclusion.

What do you look for in op-eds?
    Because we receive so many op-eds, we give priority to local writers writing on local issues, and especially to topics that are in the news. We prefer viewpoints at odds with our editorial standpoint. We look for op-eds with provocative, fresh angles. We look for an argument tightly focused on one point - not an exhaustive review of all sides of the matter. We also look for authors with expertise in their subject.

Peter B. Pach
    Associate editor
    The Hartford Courant
    (860) 241- 6595

• rebel8
    rebel8

Great idea. Letters to the editor do get read by the public and influence opinion.

It's interesting....everyone's minds always default to helping current cultists....preventing people from joining in the first place is an even better goal, which this LTE achieves nicely.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

Scott, your article is great but the editor's advice is also very good. Reduce it to about a quarter of the length, and find some sexy hooks to hang your opinions on. And the first sentence must be potent.

Well done for what you're trying to do.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Quillsky ,

I got the editor's advise after submitting my Op-eds.I think its too late now unless my understanding is incorrect.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit