Since JWs won't go to apostate boards, but they will read the newspaper...

by JimmyPage 36 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

... I've written a letter to a local paper. I hope it will be printed. It says nothing about JWs, but it should get the light bulbs to go off in their heads. I recommend everyone on the board write a similar letter. The way I see it, it can't hurt, it can only help. Here's how my letter reads:

"How to Identify a Cult"

The problem of cults is widespread these days, mainly because of a lack of education about the subject. This is dangerous because mind control groups can draw in members who are otherwise reasonable and intelligent people.

No one who is in a cult believes that they are in one. They can see the signs of a cult in other groups but not in their own. So what are these signs?

Former Moonie Steve Hassan identifies these using the "BITE" method: Behavior, Information, Thought, and Emotional control.

Behavior control often includes who a person is allowed to associate with and what clothes and hairstyles are acceptable. Individuality is discouraged in favor of "group think". Major time is committed to the group's activities.

Information control includes not allowing current members to talk to former members. Often information that originates outside the group is held with suspicion, since outsiders are considered to be outside of God's approval, and therefore, under Satan's influence.

Thought control includes not being allowed to question the decisions of the group's leaders or doctrines. No alternative belief systems are viewed as legitimate, good, or useful.

Emotional control involves using guilt and fear to motivate members. Greatest of all is the fear of leaving the group. Many irrational phobias are built around this, and persons cannot picture happiness or fulfillment outside the cult. This is often reinforced by families who shun former members. No reason given for leaving the group is viewed as legitimate. Those who do are looked at as having been "unspiritual" or "weak".

Hopefully no readers of the (newspaper's name here) ever fall prey to such groups. Remember the "BITE" method... and remember that there is hope out there for those who are trapped in such groups!

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Great idea and well stated, Jimmy!

Best grabber: No one who is in a cult believes that they are in one. They can see the signs of a cult in other groups but not in their own. So what are these signs?

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Good luck. It's hard to wake up the mentally asleep.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Yes, Jeff, but you woke up, and so did I.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

And thats the key, WE woke up. Having said that, there were many clues along the way that added up and helped. I am sure what you are doing will serve that purpose for many... :)

• steve2
    steve2

Trouble is, every one who is in a cult who bothers to read your letter will see how it applies to every other cult but theirs.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

LOL @ Steve! Sad but true.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    Yes, Jeff, but you woke up, and so did I.

Jimmy, may your letter be somebody's alarm clock! I like the way you worded it, naming the symptoms but not the disease.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Thank you, Tirebiter. I am determined to do what I can to jolt the JWs in my area into reality. Deep down, their authentic personalities want this to happen. I hope everyone feels the same about those in their area and does what they can to help. We have to try. I have felt beaten down by this religion my entire life. I'm not alone in that feeling. It's time to fight back against the oppression.

• Hadit
    Hadit

That's an excellent idea! It may hit someone at the right time and force them to think. If it helps one person wake and perhaps plants some seeds of doubts in others - it's so worth it!

I have not doubt that it can help someone. I started reading books on neuroscience which led to an interest in mind control. It helped turn my rusty and underused lightbulb on.

Please let us know if your letter gets printed! Good luck!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit