How many meetings did you actually enjoy?

by nugget 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nugget
    nugget

Flipper thank you it is the funny moments that stand out. One very worthy brother was doing the announcements one December and had an item on the Watchtower and Awake offers. It was back in the 80's when acid house parties were big news.

He started off by telling the audience that there was a fine article revealing the dangers of household acid parties. I had visions of people sniffing bleach and couldn't help laughing. He made a couple of other mistakes and finished with "As Christmas is coming up I am sure people on the territory will be fascinated by this article on the 3 Maggies." I could barely stay in my seat I was laughing so hard. He obviously meant the Magi but misread the title.

It was shortly after that the elders said hubby couldn't be a MS because he didn't take the meetings seriously enough. It was so worth it.

• nugget
    nugget

So why did we all go for years and years and years and years.

In any other walk of life if meetings were that unfulfilling you would stop going. I must have been mad.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

Another 'I hated it the whole time' thread.

All these people and no one ever admits that at the time they were content.

Kinda sad.

• cantleave
    cantleave

5th Generation - were you content at the time?

• ziddina
    ziddina

Yeah, 5th Generation, I was SOOOO 'content' being hit and kicked and slapped by my dad whenever he thought I wasn't being "Theocratic" enuf... Or if he was just in a frikkin' bad mood...

That kind of brutal bullying tends to lock one into a way of life... Besides, I got out BY MYSELF - without ANY help like the internet, Ray Franz' books, or revelations about JW pedophilia paradise...

Zid

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

were you content at the time?

Sure. MS, pioneering at the time. Totally into it.

I liked the meetings when I was super-fine. Didn't mean I didn't also look forward to them being over on time and playing hockey afterwords.

• llbh
    llbh

There was the occasional meeting that I enjoyed, if the speaker was good. From the time that we had our first child it was a struggle, and our first was a very easy and relaxed child, no trouble at all, the wts is very child unfriendly imo. I went because I thought it was the right thing to do, though less and less so. David

• cantleave
    cantleave

David that sounds like us. Our second child has aspergers - if you think the WTS is unfriendly to your everyday child, try them with Aspergers!!!!!!!!

• nugget
    nugget

Is being content enough? I think there is a measure of truth in 5th generations statement. If you are in from birth this is all you know so you can feel a measure of contentment.

I think the word that best describes my experience is temporary cessassion of guilt. Doing the right thing but not enjoying it.

LLBH the meetings are not child friendly so many people believe they can bring up kids better than you. This idea that a five year old should have a Bible and a book and that colouring is bad is mad. I allowed my nine year old to draw and a friend of mine took me aside and said she thought that my daughter should be following along with the meeting. I really wasn't up for something else to get angry about at meetings i.e was she on the right page? had she pre studied? was she looking at pictures and not following text? I told my friend my daughter could do this when she was ready since no other nine year old would be expected to study religious material at 8 o'clock at night.

so the majority view is that your meetings were as uninspiring as mine.

• cult classic
    cult classic

In my home congregation there were lots of families. Usually some type of drama going on behind the scenes. For the most part the meetings were fun for us. There was always someone tripping off the stage or forgetting their part on a talk or demo. We had a pretty liberal congo so there was always some drama going on that everyone knew about. We usually had one good laugh per meeting.

But the obvious theme here is that none of the enjoyment came from the material itself........just the people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit