Exactly How Did (Jehovah) God Scramble the Languages

by Kum Vulcan 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR
    So if God could miraculously scramble millions or billions of neurons in thousands or millions of human minds instantaneously such that they all spoke new, fully-formed, yet previously unheard languages....

Is this the same god that is incapable of putting together a bible which doesn't contradict itself; leaving people that want to believe, confused enough to have to spend their lives trying to make sense of it? (Perry excluded- of course)

And Christians unable to agree amongst themselves what its message is?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Anyone who goes to the 3rd Floor in Bethel..

Instantly learns a New Language..

Crazy 1

........................ ...OUTLAW

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I once read a clever theory that before that time mankind communicated via telepathy mostly (the literal translation of "had one language" is said to have really meant "had few words"). Something catastrophic happened (near collission with a comet maybe? I don't remember) that screwed up the planet in a major way, including electromagnetically, and brains could no longer communicate with one another. The few spoken words had to be developed into more and new languages. Those who understood each other reasonably well grouped together and moved to their respective areas.

Fascinating stuff. The Saturn Myth and Velikovsky's stuff is just as believable as any other mythology. Hey, if you're going to ignore science you may as well go as far out as possible, right?

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Hey, if you're going to ignore science you may as well go as far out as possible, right?

Maybe it was Xenu the alien messing with them...he thought the tower was a volcano?

• baltar447
    baltar447

They were building a space capable rocket ship. There, you have another wild theory. Discuss.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I guess my earlier comments regarding the confusion of the languages was a bit too out of the mainstream and is gone.

Rub a Dub

• gubberningbody
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Do you have an opinion/belief on how exactly did that giant/instant/massive language scramble happen?

It didn't happen. And it is worth pointing out that Sumerian and Akkadian were both spoken in Mesopotamia long before Babylon arose, and Sumerian itself was preceded by an even earlier language (as it contains loanwords and many place names in Sumer were not Sumerian).

• dgp
    dgp

I already made my lame attempt at humor, so now let me be serious.

Let me begin with the atheist parts of my this second lame attempt of mine: I don't think Jehovah scrambled anything. I can't but notice that Latin,for example, became several languages over time: Romanian, the several languages spoken in Italy, Romansche, Langue d'oil, Langue d'oc (mercifully exterminated), Castilian, Catalonian, Asturian, Galician, Portuguese. And now Spanish has variants, Portuguese has variants, and so on. I still believe Jehovah didn't scramble anything. This was a natural thing to happen and linguists can tell you how it happened. Now, if Jehovah had had something to do, I wonder why he would, and I can but notice that such a scrambling resulted in a good number of people being unable to understand the revealed Word. By the way, Latin is still spoken, but primarily by the members of Babylon the Great, and so is Greek, but primarily by members of yet another variant of Babylon the Great. Hebrew was no longer spoken but has come back to life, and is now spoken by the Unchosen People. Jehovah is clumsy with languages, is he not?

Some time ago I read that a new sign language had been created by deaf people in Central America. Again, it wasn't Jehovah who had anything to do with that.

• Gordy
    Gordy

There was a case recently were a English woman who suffered brain damage and started speaking with a Chinese accent.

Other cases were people have started to speak in a foreign language , which they didn't before, after brain damage.

So does all it take to alter your language just mean a rewiring of the brain?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit