• dozy
    dozy

Quote from COC:

At the October 11, 1978, meeting, of thirteen members present, nine

voted in favor of changing the traditional policy so that the decision

to accept or reject alternative service would be left to the conscience

of the individual; four did not vote for this. The result? Since there were

then sixteen members in the Body (though not all were present) and since

nine was not two-thirds of sixteen, no change was made.

On October 18 there was discussion on the subject but no vote

taken. On November 15 , all sixteen members were present and eleven

voted for changing the policy so that the Witness who conscientiously

felt he could accept such service would not be automatically categorized

as unfaithful to God and disassociated from the congregation.

This was a two-thirds majority. Was the change made?

No, for after a brief intermission, Governing Body member

Lloyd Barry, who had voted with the majority in favor of a change,

announced that he had changed his mind and would vote for continuance

of the traditional policy. That destroyed the two-thirds

majority. A subsequent vote taken, with fifteen members present,

showed nine favoring a change, five against and one abstention.

Six sessions of the Governing Body had discussed the issue and,

when votes were taken, in every case a majority of the Governing

Body members had favored removal of the existing policy. The one

vote with the two-thirds majority lasted less than one hour and the

policy remained in force. As a result Witness men were still expected

to risk imprisonment rather than accept alternative service—even

though, as the letters coming in from the survey showed, they might

conscientiously feel such acceptance was proper in God’s sight.

Incredible as it may seem, this was the position taken, and most

members of the Body appeared to accept it all as nothing to be disturbed

about. They were, after all, simply following the rules in force.

• carla
    carla

This topic is yet another source of great frustration for me! Most r & f do not even know about this and don't believe it when you tell them anyway. If they agree it could be a possibility they have no real problem with it which boggles my mind no end. Ask a jw who is willing to consider the possiblity of a 2/3 vote on new light if they can provide one, just one example from the bible where a prophet or someone acting on behalf of God (whatever term you like) was given a direct order or knowledge from God and the prophet decided to take a vote among a few chosen people to see if they wanted to follow it? One example where a select few knew something was to be changed but allowed followers to continue to teach the 'old' light until new papryri (or mags) could be delivered?

Secondly, if government is so evil why is the gb set up like a democracy using a 2/3 vote? Where is the scripture 'therefore when I, The I Am give you new knowledge or a new command go unto the people and vote among the few select to decide if these words be true and good to follow'?

If anything the gb had to say truly came from God there would be no need for any vote.

• hotspur
    hotspur

So they are quite happy to accept that the Holy Spirit is by-passing 1/3 of the GB? They must have secret sins or summat!

• startingover
    startingover

Thanks Dozy. I haven't read that info for probably 8 years. Reading it the first time was so eyeopening. This time it really brought on feelings of anger. The nerve of that group is beyond what I can tolerate.

• moshe
    moshe

I have asked JW's, if they would rethink their refusal of a blood transfusion, if they knew that 50% of the GB wanted to drop the current ban and go to a personal decision policy? (After explaining the 2/3 rule to them first) I have yet to find an honest JW who would admit that it might make a difference in their decision. The prospect of WT group bloodguilt over a false dogma is too scary for a JW to openly contemplate.

• moshe
    moshe

I have asked JW's, if they would rethink their refusal of a blood transfusion, if they knew that 50% of the GB wanted to drop the current ban and go to a personal decision policy? (After explaining the 2/3 rule to them first) I have yet to find an honest JW who would admit that it might make a difference in their decision. The prospect of WT group bloodguilt over a false dogma is too scary for a JW to openly contemplate.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have asked JW's, if they would rethink their refusal of a blood transfusion, if they knew that 50% of the GB wanted to drop the current ban and go to a personal decision policy? (After explaining the 2/3 rule to them first)

Great Question

• Alfred
    Alfred

I bet they got this 2/3 mayority vote method from the UN...

Are changes in the U.N. the answer? Consider the one that was made during the Korean War in the early 1950’s. At that time a resolution was passed that made a two-thirds vote in the General Assembly enough to override a veto by one of the members of the influential Security Council. It was believed that this modification in procedure would curtail any attempt by a Security Council member to hinder the peacemaking efforts of the United Nations.

Actually, this change was not drastic enough, as subsequent history has proved. In a crisis it was found that a two-thirds vote usually could not be mustered to overrule a veto. The influence of a larger nation in the Security Council Frederick Franz has a great effect on how members of the General Assembly Governing Body vote.

-Awake! March 8, 1972 page 5

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit