A possible way for the Watch Tower to generate revenue via their website.

by adjusted knowledge 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Listener
    Listener

They are advertising on their website.  They have a direct link to Roku and are using their logo.

http://www.jw.org/en/online-help/jw-broadcasting/roku/

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

insidetheKH and Chaserious make some very good points.  Never advertising in their magazines and their buildings except for themselves supports the idea they may never do so on their webpage.

insidetheKH "@runforever yes people can get usernames (but the majority does not have one)" 

How would you know the amount of usernames that have been registered at jw.org?

• Athanasius
    Athanasius
    Perhaps the Watch Tower magazine didn't carry advertising, but the Golden Age magazine did during the first years of its publication.  21st century JWism isn't what it used to be.  No doubt the new GB will ad advertising as a revenue source.
  • Chaserious
    Chaserious
     They have a direct link to Roku and are using their logo.

Interesting point, Listener.  I wonder if they get any revenue from that. 

• Listener
    Listener
    I wonder if they get any revenue from that. 

At the very least there would be some sort of 'arrangement'.  After all, there is a monopoly here with a potential audience of over 8 million people.  You don't just go putting up a clickable commercial company logo belonging to another business on an otherwise ad free website for no reason.

From what I can see, you need to buy a Roku product which will then allow you to plug it into your TV.  This will then allow you to watch the JW TV video's on your TV.  This is a great promotion for Roku.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Strickly soeaking a roku isnt needed.  You can stream from a variety of devices, just as you can from a site like netflix. The roku is a bridge between the internet and your tv and  makes it easier for those not tech savy.  But it is frankly stunning that they are using a brand name like that and i know at least 6 in my congregation who purchased a roku for that specific reason

• besty
    besty
    blood, shunning and child abuse - anything else is just jerking your leash with the details.
  • adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

insidetheKH

135 years of Watchtower magazines there was not a single advertisement in it.. there won't be any on the website too

So please explain the following link then.

http://www.jw.org/en/online-help/jw-broadcasting/roku/

• insidetheKH
    insidetheKH

@adjusted knowledge

about the nr of registrations,.. i have reliable sources. Besides that individuals are not yet instructed to do so.

About the Roku link. Since JW Broadcasting has their own channel on ROKU and the fact that it runs smoothly on those devices it's only logical that this is mentioned.

Its the same as mentioning links and logos of the Amazon store, Apple store, Google store and Windows store as is done ont this page for example

http://www.jw.org/en/online-help/jw-library/

• Faded
    Faded
    135 years of Watchtower magazines there was not a single advertisement in it.. there won't be any on the website too
    Does anyone have a scan of the Awake that came out after 9-11 where they are basically patting themselves on the back for making sure their brothers are alive, while not doing anything to help others?

There was a placement of a logo/small square box for the New York Time or one of the NY dailies. Then the same publication was quoted in the articles. I was absolutely sure it was a quid pro quo deal (run our ad or don't use our quotes). 

I was still somewhat in at the time, but it definitely got my attention as I considered it an advertisement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit