A possible way for the Watch Tower to generate revenue via their website.

by adjusted knowledge 29 Replies latest jw friends

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Yep they will do it. They will resort to advertisements. They are money hungry and will resort to everything and everything.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge
    The proposed ADs on their website was just one suggestion.  It may not happen or for a very long time.  But there are other methods to generate income from their site.  They could hold a special talk online and have a link attached for donations.  Imagine if they only got one fourth of their active members to donate $5 during that talk. 
  • confuzzlediam
    confuzzlediam
    OMG I had NO clue there was even a JW Broadcasting site!!  It's been well over a year since I have been to a meeting.  Makes me want to vomit.  
  • TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

They are indirectly and directly making money from the site. Despite their claims, the site is 99% for the members.

The members can make donations once logged in under their username. You can make a one-time donation or setup recurring monthly donations to take place on the date of your choosing - how kind!

The site is a big way to posture themselves as "preaching the good news of the kingdom in all the inhabited earth" and for delivering content to the dubs which creates reciprocity (we give you a new video - you give us a donation).

Whether they ever setup a donation button for the public remains to be seen. For now they are wanting to look like this is all a free service for the Lord (lol).

-TE 

• insidetheKH
    insidetheKH
    @TTATElder members do not have usernames ,.. only a few persons (with responsibilities) per congregation do
  • runForever
    runForever

insidethekh:@TTATElder members do not have usernames ,.. only a few persons (with responsibilities) per congregation do"

when I last visited yes anyone can get a username and donate. I signed up and once I was a member I saw the donate button where you could setup reoccurring payments or one time.

• insidetheKH
    insidetheKH
    @runforever yes people can get usernames (but the majority does not have one) and online donations are only possible from within porto rico, the U.S and the Virgin Islands.
  • piztjw
    piztjw

Wouldn't paid ads put their "not-for-profit" status in jeopardy?

That is the key. If jw.(B)org accepted solicited UNPAID adds from businesses for which they suggested ordered that the sheep patronize for some token discount (remember, most JW's are tightwads) they could accept a cash kick-back donation from those approved businesses.

What a wonderful arrangement from the GB...JW's think they got a deal on something, the organization gets money coming in, and businesses get a tax break for "charitable" contributions.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Nope, I'm still in the "never" camp.

The Watchtower thrives on control, advertisements would be beyond their control.  They just couldn't let go enough to allow it.

• Chaserious
    Chaserious
    I will be surprised if they ever allow advertising on their website, no matter how money hungry they are. It will come across as just too crass, and not for very much money in the grand scheme.  Even large companies, whose purpose is to earn profit, rarely advertise on their own sites (except for their own products), as it's not very tasteful. Web traffic money is nothing compared to what they could have earned for advertising on their high visibility Brooklyn buildings over the years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit