This week's Bible Highlights, verbatim quote: "Jehovah is a Killer..."

by Open mind 62 Replies latest watchtower bible

• snowbird
    snowbird

Welcome, Nastic Anasta.

I agree with you. Here is the real killer.

John 8:44 "He (the Devil) was a killer from the very start."

Sylvia

• Mrs. Witness
    Mrs. Witness

Snowbird,

How many scriptures tell of how many people that Satan killed? Didn't God send the she-bear to kill the children? Didn't God tell the Isrealites to kill anyone and everyone that got in their way of the pursuit of the land of milk & honey? How about the flood? From what I know of the Bible, Satan is only accused of tempting people...I don't remember him killing anyone...torture maybe, but death?

Mrs. W

• snowbird
    snowbird

Snowbird,
    How many scriptures tell of how many people that Satan killed?

Romans 5:12 You know the story of how Adam landed us in the dilemma we're in - first sin, then death, and no one exempt from either sin or death. MSG

1 Corinthians 15:22 Everybody dies in Adam; everybody comes alive in Christ. MSG

Satan caused the death of the entire human race.

Sylvia

• Mrs. Witness
    Mrs. Witness

I don't mean to argue, but I think that's a bit of a stretch. AND, if you compare one scripture to the myriad scriptures that detail God's killing sprees, Satan still has less.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I don't mean to argue,

I don't, either; I'm just putting it out there.

Sylvia

• superpunk
    superpunk

Satan caused the death of the entire human race.

He doesn't have that kind of power - biblically. No, it was another supernatural being that caused the death of the entire human race, according to biblical lore. Whether you believe Jehovah manipulated Adam's DNA post-sin or booby-trapped him to start, either way Jehovah took direct action to engineer the death of the entire human race.

Satan doesn't have those skills.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Sylvia, with respect, please indulge me while I try to slip into a devout Christian mindset.

Your reply helps flesh out what was going through my mind when I read the verse to myself at the Kingdom Hall. As a Christian, I'm sure you resent the implication that God is a "killer". So why in the world did the Watchtower "scholars" who translated the NWT pick such a negatively charged word in this verse? They could have easily done it like one of your favorite Bibles reads:

1 Samuel 2:6 (The Message)

6-10 God brings death and God brings life,
    brings down to the grave and raises up.

That's much more poetic and much better PR for God Almighty than....

JEHOVAH IS A KILLER!

Sheesh Watchtower, wasn't anyone on the translating committee thinking marketing?

BTW, I'd love to hear Narkissos, Leolaia or The Old Hippie's take on this.

om

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

1 Corinthians 15:22 Everybody dies in Adam; everybody comes alive in Christ.

Who has Jesus brought back to life?

Oh, and Job 1:16 - "While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, "The fire of God fell from the sky and burned up the sheep and the servants, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!""

God challenges Satan on Job then God's fire kills random people to hurt Job.

• snowbird
    snowbird

SuperPunk, I, and Jesus of Nazareth, disagree with you.

John 14:30 I'll not be talking with you much more like this because the chief of this godless world is about to attack. MSG

Open Mind, the WT likes warlike terms. The supposed light in them is really darkness!

Luke 11:35 “Then watch out that the light in you is not darkness. NASB

Sylvia

• sir82
    sir82

And away we go.....

This thread will reach 10 pages before St. Patrick's day.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit