This week's Bible Highlights, verbatim quote: "Jehovah is a Killer..."

by Open mind 62 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Open mind
    Open mind

It's amazing what you notice when you go through the Bible again with a changed worldview. This week's Watchtower-assigned Bible Reading is the opening chapters of 1 Samuel. This little gem just jumped off the page at me:

"Jehovah is a Killer,..."

OK, I'm just giving you 1 Sam 2:6 (a). Here's the whole verse.

"Jehovah is a Killer, and a Preserver of life.

A Bringer down to Sheol and He brings up."

It might be interesting to ask a JW at the door if they would use the phrase "Jehovah is a Killer" to describe their god.

om

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

He has killed way more people (let alone animals) than any other person/being/entity including His archenemy Satan. Even combining all others, they don't even come close (despite what happened at Hiroshima and Nagasaki).

• sabastious
    sabastious

He gets real mad when his subjects don't do what he wants even though he gave us the right to choose. So he kills us.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Good points OTWO & Sebastious.

nasticanasta:

You might want to take another look at OTWO's gender symbol.

?From the symbol of Mars (U+2642 ? ). The symbol for a maleorganism or man.
    ?From the symbol of Venus (U+2640 ? ). The symbol for a femaleorganism or woman
  • Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

Welcome Nasty Canasta. Nice intro. Also? Look up "sex symbols" and educate yourself.

• zoiks
    zoiks

nasticanasta - welcome!

I would recommend reading the forum guidelines before you post anything else.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

God doesn't kill.....we choose it. I can't believe I just read that here.. and to "onthewayout" I see your picture yet you have the female sex symbol albeit pointed the wrong way..but I would have to guess you're homosexual...

Well that's a fine howdoyoudo Nasticanasta. Has anyone told you that a refinement of people skills might be in order?

• superpunk
    superpunk

Ancient holy texts, including the bible, when read without a preexisting theological lens, are all appalling.

"Jehovah" and his buddy Jesus have gone through a myriad makeovers since then, to make them more appealling to our modern tastes.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    God doesn't kill.....we choose it. I can't believe I just read that here.. and to "onthewayout" I see your picture yet you have the female sex symbol albeit pointed the wrong way..but I would have to guess you're homosexual...

And here someone posted that it was a slow day...that may be just about the most impolite first post that I have ever seen.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Nasticanasta:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male

I have the correct symbol; read the wiki entries above or do your own research on the differences. But even if I didn't, I am secure in whatever I am. If someone thought I was a woman, I am okay with that.

I can't believe I just read that here..

I am not here to prove anything to you. This is a discussion forum and that was the topic, found in the Bible. While I don't read the original poster's mind, I am confident that he or she (I happen to know it's a HE) was expecting something along the lines of whether God/Jehovah/YHWH is a "killer."

YHWH killed everyone at the flood, Sodom and Gommorah, he killed many for the Israelites invading the promised land so they wouldn't have to, and according to the JW's (this is a JW/ex-JW forum) He is set to kill billions of people who didn't know Him because they laughed at the nerdy "publishers" at their door or were never called upon because they were born in a country that didn't allow the sales force.

You can say that last part is wrong. I will agree, but your own Bible tells of the others. It also tells of a God who commanded people to kill women and male children and to keep the little girls after they killed their parents and siblings, then to force them (rape) to have more Israelite babies.

I don't go around telling Jews and Christians this stuff, but you gotta expect it on a discussion forum that brings up the subject.

OH, Welcome to the forum. Stick around and enjoy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit