Accidentally Got an Email from a JW. . .

by leavingwt 27 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

A few minutes ago, a former JW friend of mine (ex-Bethelite) sent me a bulk email. This happened once before, a few months back, I just deleted it, but found it curious that he hadn't removed all "known apostates" from his address book.

This time, I couldn't let it pass. I responded with a simple, "Thank you."

Below is his response. Primarily, he needs to determine my "status".

You are welcome! How are you doing? Are you back?

My gut reaction is to simply not respond. Or, I would simlpy say, "We're doing better than ever. I'm not back, I'm free!"

Anyway, how would YOU respond?

• smiddy
    smiddy

Since I`ve been away the lights shone so bright I couldn`t possibly go back.

smiddy

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I think I would say we're doing great. We're happier than we've ever been.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> Anyway, how would YOU respond?

I never would have emailed him to begin with. You tipped your hand and now he knows.

There is no good way to respond now... without lying.

• sabastious
    sabastious

I am back, I was back to reality the second I left the watchtower.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    There is no good way to respond now... without lying.

There is no need for me to lie, if I respond. I just think that responding at all would be unkind.

You see, this would mean that within a matter of less than an hour, he communicated TWICE with a known apostate. He might be unable to sleep for a week. His email is full of demons! (He knows full well that I disassociated myself in 2008 and that at that time I was an apostate.)

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Since I`ve been away the lights shone so bright I couldn`t possibly go back.

I like that, Smiddy!

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I'd respond to the How are you doing, and completely ignore the Are you back.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I would ignore the "are you back" question and just tell him how great you and yours are doing, the way you would with any friend. That emphasizes and encourages the true personality rather than the cult personality, which is always a good thing.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Void & BabaYaga -- Yes, ignoring the "Are you back?" question would seem the kind thing to do. After all, I'm interested in him personally, I'm just not interested in 'cult talk'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit