Jehovah's Witnesses and Calvinistic Predestination

by AllTimeJeff 69 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• designs
    designs

XJW

Of course Protestantism, Catholicism, and the Orthodox churches meet the criteria of a Cult, just bigger numbers than groups like the Witnesses or LDS. Members and Leaders of these groups make claims similar to our former religion and slip under the door the little pieces of paper that try and get them off of the hook of responsibility that we would use. 'We're filled with God's Spirit', 'God dwells in me', you know the spheal. I've sat through enough Protestant and Evangelical Services to be able to recite the litany of claims. Anchored to Creeds, yet it was in reality made up as they went along.

Are you stuck in a Cult, again, difficult to grapple with that one isn't it. The retort is that someone who challenges the Fundamentalists who come here to Convert the XJWs must be atheist. All of the mental protections we were trained to have as Witnesses carry over to people and their new found religious persuasions.

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

I had a hard time with this as a witness also. I couldn't make sense of the story of Pharaoh or Judas. Everything started in the Garden of Eden over the issue of free will. When Eve was about to eat the fruit, God didn't step in and try to change her mind. But Pharaoh, was going to let the Israelites go but "God kept hardening his heart". Throughout the whole story, god was credited with the actions of Pharaoh. Where was his freewill? And why was Jehovah such a jerk - just so he could be the star of some pissing battle with some earthly king?

And to believe in prophecy doesn't there have to be an element of predestination? It always seemed to me that Judas got screwed - he was set up as a pawn! He was a key element in the story of Jesus' death. Somebody had to betray Jesus, what if he had lived? What would the story be, he wouldn't have been a tragic hero. But I believe Satan was blamed for "entering Judas' heart" to cause the betrayal.

It seems that we have "freewill" but god can change our "heart condition"? So why doesn't he just set everyone's heart to "good" and then we can all get along.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Chalam:

With Arminianism, at least people get to choose their own destiny, in Calvinism they don't, they are not elected and are without hope.

I think you missed the point of my question. Free will, which needs to be defined, does not answer the question.

For those who might be reading this and are grappling with this thorny theological issue, once again I firmly believe salvation has nothing to do with getting to the bottom of this theological issue. Indeed, it is probably about not fully understanding it!

On this I render a hearty amen! The Arminian/Calvinism debate is not a "closed hand" issue. Meaning that the affirmation or denial of this doctrine is not essential to one's salvation.

Designs:

Of course Protestantism, Catholicism, and the Orthodox churches meet the criteria of a Cult, just bigger numbers than groups like the Witnesses or LDS.

How did you come to this conclusion?

Members and Leaders of these groups make claims similar to our former religion and slip under the door the little pieces of paper that try and get them off of the hook of responsibility that we would use. 'We're filled with God's Spirit', 'God dwells in me', you know the spheal.

Aside from cult founders like Russell, Smith, Young, Jones, Baker-Eddy, Blavatsky, et. al., I would like some evidence where Protestant scholars like Luther, Calvin, Knox, Lattimer, Hus, Bunyan, Edwards, Van Til, Clark, Machen, Sproul, etc. have made a pronouncement like your above statement.

Anchored to Creeds, yet it was in reality made up as they went along.

I disagree with your caviller characterization of the various creeds. Chrisitianity formulated creeds in order to combat false ideas about the Father, the Son, and/or the Holy Spirit that had sprung up in early church history.

Are you stuck in a Cult, again, difficult to grapple with that one isn't it.

No, because Christianity does not correspond to any cult model that I am aware of. I am free to read any criticism of Christianity available to me. All of them aren't worth the paper they're printed on, but that is another discussion.

The retort is that someone who challenges the Fundamentalists who come here to Convert the XJWs must be atheist.

I am not sure what you mean here, so if you wouldn't mind expanding on this a bit, I might be able to understand what you are trying to say.

All of the mental protections we were trained to have as Witnesses carry over to people and their new found religious persuasions.

Oh, yes, the old, you're thinking like a JW accusation. To be honest, I have seen that come from the atheists on this board more than I have from the educated Christians. Many times I have pointed out the conservative Christian response only to have atheists employ "thought stopping" processes to defend their orthodoxy from attack. I am not saying that this may be true of you, as I believe that this is the first time that I have interacted with you.

My only question of you, is how do you come to the conclusions you have posted here.

• designs
    designs

X

Of course you are not aware of it, like some others who stay on that revolving door of religion who venture from one Cult into another Cult.

Now go back through Church History and locate the End Times rants of Preachers and Priests. Read up on those lovely 'Born Again', 'Spirit Begotten' Church Leaders like Martin Luther and John Calvin, who murdered and killed, raised armies and butchered fellow 'Christians'. How many wars were fought between these 'Christians' over the centuries. Did you miss that lesson in your Bible Classes. hmmmm no wonder your head is still in the bucket of gasoline sniffing the fumes of religion.

It so ridiculous we have Fundamentalists like Stephen who promote videos of some old guy with LED lights pin pointing his pulsating crotch. And its not a Cult ................ really

45 year of study with outside theologians- Jesuits and Evangelicals from Dallas Theological Seminary, Rabbis, observation, personal experience inside these Churches, business dealings with these 'Born Againers' ......... that's how I know.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Of course you are not aware of it, like some others who stay on that revolving door of religion who venture from one Cult into another Cult.

Again, another conclusion without any sort of grounding.

Now go back through Church History and locate the End Times rants of Preachers and Priests. Read up on those lovely 'Born Again', 'Spirit Begotten' Church Leaders like Martin Luther and John Calvin, who murdered and killed, raised armies and butchered fellow 'Christians'.

And this disproves Christianity how? If anything it proves that the followers of Jesus are still fallen creatures. Professing Christianity does not make one perfect. I realize that this is a small fact that is generally lost on atheists/skeptics, but salvation does not make on perfect, that is for a later date.

How many wars were fought between these 'Christians' over the centuries. Did you miss that lesson in your Bible Classes.

No, I am quite aware of the "Christian" wars. I believe that they are a blight on Christianity. However, what track record do atheists have when it comes to killing people? The atheist body count eclipses the Christian body count by tens, if not, hundreds of millions. Again, my point is not to excuse professing Christians of their patently unChristian actions, but rather to lend some context to this over blown claim by atheists and skeptics.

hmmmm no wonder your head is still in the bucket of gasoline sniffing the fumes of religion.

This puzzles me. I have attemped to interact with you in a respectful tone, yet you toss this incendiary remark at me? Do you want to dialoge or demigog?

45 year of study with outside theologians- Jesuits and Evangelicals from Dallas Theological Seminary, Rabbis, observation, personal experience inside these Churches, business dealings with these 'Born Againers' ......... that's how I know.

Yet, you have not provided me one concrete example, but only written unsubstantiated bluster.

• designs
    designs

X,

You still don't get it, you have exactely the same mental blocks you see in Witnesses or other groups. I understand, it took sitting in Cult of the Trinity Churches over a period of years with that first hand experience to see what was going on rather than the armchair perspective I had as a Witness.

Dismissing Calvin and Luther's behavior as 'professing Christianity does not make one perfect' shows to everyone the blinders one has from being in your Cult, just like many JWs have about their religion. Study the Wars Luther and his Cult followers waged against the Catholics and vice versa.

Basic History from Elementary school years.

• Chalam
    Chalam

designs hmmmm no wonder your head is still in the bucket of gasoline sniffing the fumes of religion.

XJW4EVR This puzzles me. I have attemped to interact with you in a respectful tone, yet you toss this incendiary remark at me? Do you want to dialoge or demigog?

Titus 3:10-11 (English Standard Version)

10 As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, 11 knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned.

Blessings,

Stephen

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

You still don't get it, you have exactely the same mental blocks you see in Witnesses or other groups. I understand, it took sitting in Cult of the Trinity Churches over a period of years with that first hand experience to see what was going on rather than the armchair perspective I had as a Witness.

Dismissing Calvin and Luther's behavior as 'professing Christianity does not make one perfect' shows to everyone the blinders one has from being in your Cult, just like many JWs have about their religion. Study the Wars Luther and his Cult followers waged against the Catholics and vice versa.

Basic History from Elementary school years.

OK, demigoguery and insults. That's all people like you have.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    LWT, you are missing the point and are getting lost in this conundrum!

You are correct, I do miss the point, as none of it makes any sense, to me. It all does make sense, for you. It is only natural for me to steer clear of large commitments that do not make any sense. So, I suppose I'm waiting on the Lord to choose me, in the sense that his will would begin to make sense, to me. Thank you for your patience.

• not a captive
    not a captive

It is clear to me that these kind of theological discussions had no part of Jesus' ministry.

Does God, through Jesus, reach the most oppressed of humanity--uneducated women in burdened lives who have child after child in poverty-?

If he does, then what does all this have to do with it?

What I want to know is this: in whatever misery of life, do I have value to God at least?

If you say "NO" then I do not want your gospel no matter how correct the theology.

Don't tell the poor that if God loved you then you wouldn't be poor.

Many of us are just happy to know that he cares.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit