New generation definition....has the Society "jumped the shark"?

by sir82 26 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

OTWO, thanks for those videos! The Fonz was so kewl.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I don't think hoping the WTS will go away is realistic. But there are realistic goals to consider and hope for. I don't think the growth of JWs is keeping up with population growth rates, is it? There's step one. As a percentage, JWs are shrinking in the world (if that's not the case now, at least it's something to look forward to). Step two, the JW growth in absolute numbers is bound to level off, with leaving members matching or even outpacing new members.

Once we get to that point (where is that, 10 million maybe?), I think truth, real truth, has won. You'll always have some people willing and eager to believe a lie, but if we can get to where the number of people being exploited by this org has leveled off or is shrinking, that's victory. Expecting them to go away completely just isn't realistic.

• greenie
    greenie

It might not be realistic, but it sure is fun to talk about! And I think Sir82 makes a great point when he says: "Many of their teachings have been shown to be demonstrably false, but at least had a patina of believability. ...But the current "2 overlapping generations really equal one generation" seems beyond the pale. I can't wrap my mind around any way to justify it, even if I wanted to believe it."

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I don't think hoping the WTS will go away is realistic.

Everything goes away eventually. Even exploiting this example, HAPPY DAYS wasn't even halfway over when Fonzie jumped the shark.
    But HAPPY DAYS was done being a cultural icon. It was becoming more and more insignificant. People looked back at the first few years of the show in a nostalgic way and then remarked, "Is that still on?"

That's what I see happening to WTS. It's somewhere past its real relevance to society yet lives on. That part is sad because it will continue to destroy some lives. But more and more, it is becoming insignificant. We are early on watching this, but its happening. People will soon be looking back at WTS and say "Are they still around?"

• sd-7
    sd-7

I believe the term is "nuked the fridge". But, just as with Indiana Jones, if you like Indiana Jones (or if you like stuff made by the guy who made Indiana Jones, more specifically), you probably don't care that the fridge has been nuked--if anything, you think it's cool! And nobody can convince you that it's not! Same deal here. If you haven't, up until this point in time, noticed that anything at all was wrong with the Society's teachings or methods, then this won't make you notice anything either.

"People need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy." And so long as such examples don't exist, status quo will be maintained.

SD-7

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

My greatest hope is that Ted McGinley will become a member of the Governing Body.

Then, we will know that the end of the organization is truly near!

• JeffT
    JeffT

The WTBS jumped the shark in 1914. Then they made the ski boat turn around so they could jump it again. And again, and again.

To continue the Happy Days anologies the problem the watchtower has can be illustrated by the episode where Fonzi tried to teach Richie how to fight. He tells him to take off his jacket look mean etc and the other guys will back down. When this doesn't work Richie asks what's wrong, Fonzi very helpfully says "Oh I forgot, some time you have to have actually hit somebody."

The WTBS has never hit anything. Their act only works because the R&F don't know that.

• moshe
    moshe

Will mentally challenged people ever revolt against their caretakers of normal intellect? Nope. I don't see the vast majority of JW's with brain defects in their "logic zone", ever rebelling against the GB, elders, WT- whoever- as long as there is a KH and the lights are on, they will return week after week for a good hosing down from the F&DS.

• yknot
    yknot

..... I think they are merely repeating history......

Consider the early Rutherford years where he was try to keep Russell's teachings relevent.......only to start dumping Russell around 1927 until his creation of the 'Jehovah's Witness's'

Right now they seem to be trying to find relevance in past interpretations (think Rutherford saying Russell was leading the Bible Students from his heavenly reward) while dumping (pyramidology 1928) or altering (1927 the original 2008 generation spin) those that keep them from being able to keep the farce going....

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More
    as long as there is a KH and the lights are on, they will return week after week for a good hosing down from the F&DS.
    That has got to be the best all-round summary of the JW religion I have ever read! LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit