My daughter has a JW friend at our home for a sleep-over tonight !! Help!

by moshe 35 Replies latest jw friends

• nugget
    nugget

Just behave as you would if any other child was coming over for a sleepover. We can all be a bit over sensitive as if we have apostate tattooed on our foreheads.

I hope they have a great time.

Not seen Avatar but know hubby wants to go.

• moshe
    moshe

The girls mother called and talked to my wife before she left this morning. They have been in town for six months and they are so happy their daughter has found a playmate. There may be more to their situation than I am aware of- meaning they could have moved to get away from a bad KH situation and most of us know how easily that can happen. One slip of the tongue in front of a couple JW's, who then rat you out to the elders can put a JW in deep doo-doo.

I won't say another JW word- lips are sealed- after the girls are better friends, we will show the family just how nice worldly people are.

Thanks for everyones input/help- that is what makes this a great cyber-place to hang out.

• In
    In

That's fantastic they let her come over. I certainly couldn't do that with any of my school or neighbor friends... led a rather isolated life growing up.

Just be friendly. The girl and parents will likely be awkward still about things like the holidays, so be circumspect about it, but just be reallly really friendly and it'll be hard for them to not return the gesture. If they preach to you, well, understand its what they've been told to do to everyone they know.

Otherwise, let the kids have fun.

p.s. most folks in my congregation are going to see Avatar...

• poppers
    poppers

Would active JW's go to that movie?

I doubt they would if they knew what the word "avatar" means. It comes from Sanskrit and refers to an incarnation of God in Hinduism. Shiva, Vishnu, Ganesh were said to be avatars. That's pretty pagan for JWism, isn't it?

• moshe
    moshe
    -If they preach to you, well, understand its what they've been told to do to everyone they know.

Thanks, In and welcome. I never have to worry about the JW preaching part. I know from experinence as soon I tell a JW that , "we're Jewish" the automatic pilot kicks off in their presentation. Then it's my turn to talk. I can always find common ground by recognizing that JW's don't worship a Trinity, then while their guard is down I plant the seeds of doubt. We used to live in a heavily Jewish area and for the six years we lived in that neighborhood there was one of those end of the world tracts left in late 2006 and that was it- no regular D2D work at all.. JW's really have no ability to recruit members from the Jewish faith.

• changeling
    changeling

Avatar, yes most witnesses would see it.

Letting their 10 year old spend the night at a "wordly" family's home? Not so much. They seem "spiritually weak". By all , means, invite them over. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit